Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TLC272CP Op Amp Leakage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palbert

So I am building a simple inverting op-amp amplifier with feedback. My input is a bass guitar coming in through a .1uF cap and a resistor. The resistor feedback ratio is 10k/1k, so a gain of 10. It worked okay when I powered the chip with 9V (obviously still fuzzy due to no filtering yet) but when I turned the power to the chip off and played, I still got output. A whole lot of output. The project is breadboarded and if I take away power and ground, it still works rather well. I wonder why this is? My bass has a pre-amp so maybe it is using some of that battery power?

Build a new amplifier, (with no TLV272) add a 1k and 10k resistor from input to output. Because your pre-amp drives hard (100 ohms) and the next amplifier has a high input impedance (100k or more), the signal will pass straight through.

So you mean just cascade another amplifier from the output of the first 272 or just use a new op-amp?

No,
You asked about, "when I turned the power to the chip off and played, I still got output" why?
Answer, a signal will go from input to output when the OP-amp is removed or un-powered. You have 10k+1k=11k from input to output of the amplifier you built.

Will signals go through transistors like that when they don't have power? I'm assuming they won't.

Sorry for the multiple posts. But, if I understand correctly, since the signal is passing straight through with a high input impedance device, should I use an amplifier with a low input impedance? Like a common base BJT amplifier?

Your amplifier is inverting so it has two resistors in series from input to output.
If you make a non-inverting amplifier then it does not have resistors from input to output.

Your amplifier is inverting so it has two resistors in series from input to output.
If you make a non-inverting amplifier then it does not have resistors from input to output.

Hmm, I just switched it to non-inverting and I still got the same problem. Noise with no power.

We now have liftoff. When I made the non-inverting amplifier, I still had the resistor feedback setup. Instead, I have my input signal coming into the non-inverting inut and the resistor feedback going to the inverting input and ground. Thanks for the advice.

I.e. (albeit, very badly drawn),

Input--- | + R1
---------- | - > ----/\/\/\---|---------------Output
|------ | --------------------|
|
|
/
\ R2
/
|
GND

We now have liftoff. When I made the non-inverting amplifier, I still had the resistor feedback setup. Instead, I have my input signal coming into the non-inverting inut and the resistor feedback going to the inverting input and ground. Thanks for the advice.

I.e. (albeit, very badly drawn),

Code:
Input--- | +                R1
---------- | -    >    ----/\/\/\---|---------------Output
       |------ | --------------------|
               |
               |
               /
               \   R2
               /
               |
            GND

If you use the CODE tags, then it will preserve your formatting. It helps to lay out your ASCII text in Notepad first, or a word processor with a monospace font like Courier New.

Try using Reply with Quote to see what I mean about the CODE tags.

Last edited:
yes very badly drawn since the forum software reformatted the text (not your fault, just keep in mind spaces disappear when you hit the save button).... i seem to remember Analog Devices publishing something about the unpredictable effects of applying signal to unpowered op amps.
found it... hope you find this helpful

**broken link removed**

yes very badly drawn since the forum software reformatted the text (not your fault, just keep in mind spaces disappear when you hit the save button).... i seem to remember Analog Devices publishing something about the unpredictable effects of applying signal to unpowered op amps.
found it... hope you find this helpful

**broken link removed**

Thanks, this was helpful. I enjoyed their naming of the "Off-Amp" as well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back