to design a mobile phone charger without using a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only way i can see is lots of resistors or 1 big resistor, which would be a HUGE waste of electricity. You would also need to make the ac dc and even out the supply so ur gonna need capacitors, chokes, etc.

zachtheterrible said:
the only way i can see is lots of resistors or 1 big resistor, which would be a HUGE waste of electricity. You would also need to make the ac dc and even out the supply so ur gonna need capacitors, chokes, etc.

yep, very true.

I have a ton of compatible manufacture mobile phone chargers, and all it is is a transformer, with 1 transistor, and 4 1n4008's.

no point playing with rectifiers and all.

indecided said:
I have a ton of compatible manufacture mobile phone chargers, and all it is is a transformer, with 1 transistor, and 4 1n4008's.

no point playing with rectifiers and all.

:?: the 4 1N4008's are rectifiers.

There are various ways to avoid the use of transformers, but none of them are as good as a transformer, nor probably as safe either!.

Nigel, that is what i meant.

Hi,

That’s a tough one, unless you want to charge your mobile in your mobile (car)!?

Ante :roll:

my mobile phone charger is simillar to the one mentioned by Someone Electro. it says that it outputs 5.7V @ 800mA and its really really light and as thin as my mobile phone itself. so does that use a switching regulator with a switchmode transformer. i highly doubt there will be anything like a transformer in there because as i said its very light. i know i should open it but it has odd shaped screws.

They will be security screws, there are various types, and you can buy sets of tools to undo them.

Switchmode transformers are very light, they use ferrite cores rather than iron, and the high frequencies employed make them small. Your charger output is only 4.5W, so it's a very low power supply, a switchmode transformer for that could be tiny.

It's also possible it uses a simple capacitive dropper off the mains, but this doesn't provide proper isolation, and the dropper is likely to be fairly large.

I also have a large number of car chargers for handphones, they are nothing more then a 8pin IC, a couple of caps, and a ferrite winding.

will take pics when i get home

indecided said:
I also have a large number of car chargers for handphones, they are nothing more then a 8pin IC, a couple of caps, and a ferrite winding.

They sound like normal switchmode power supplies, for an in-car charger they don't need a transformer, just an inductor.

Looking back it's never actually been stated, but I presumed we were talking about a mains power supply?.

It's also possible it uses a simple capacitive dropper off the mains, but this doesn't provide proper isolation, and the dropper is likely to be fairly large

yeah i have heard about that. but ive also heard that switchmode supplies do not necessarily want any dropper. they just take the 220VAC (or 110VAC) and convert it into DC voltage.

samcheetah said:
yeah i have heard about that. but ive also heard that switchmode supplies do not necessarily want any dropper. they just take the 220VAC (or 110VAC) and convert it into DC voltage.

Yes, that's how mains switchmode power supplies work, you rectify the full mains (giving about 330V DC on 230V mains). You then switch it at a higher frequency through a small transformer, the frequency varies, anything from 10KHz to 100KHz is usual. The transformer steps down the voltage, just like a normal mains transformer - with the advantage that everything is much smaller. It also means you can stabilise the supply, apply feedback from the output to the control circuitry to keep the outpur constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…