Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tone Transmission over FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormgear

Hi,
I am designing a circuit which I can use to transmit simple tones (sine waves, Vpp is variable) using FM over short distances (<50m) . I have used an op-amp RC oscillator to generate the tone. I want to modulate the carrier (HF range <30MHz. Also to avoid the commercial FM range (85-105MHz)) with these tones, so I can transmit signals over this range. I am facing problems with my RF stage as I cannot get a design that is stable and can be modulated. Can anyone help me with the design /stage? At the receiving end, I intend to demodulate this and use a bandpass filter bank to separate the tones (which is essentially signalling using tones). Any help with the modulation / demodulation theory and/or design will be appreciated.

Thanks
Wormgear

for any sort of decent stability you need a crystal oscillator of some descritpion
a free running RC osc will never be stable enough
have a look at Hartley, Colpitts, Butler oscillators Crystal based not free running :)

here's a hint cct for you .....

colpitts-osc1-gif.71779

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Colpitts Osc1.GIF
    Colpitts Osc1.GIF
    3.4 KB · Views: 262
Dave, Thanks for your quick reply and the circuit. Will test this out. Also, are all capacitor units in pf? And the resistors?
I use the RC circuit to generate my signal tones (from 0.5 to 5 kHz) which will modulate the carrier (a few MHz). So what I meant was that the signal tone generation is not a problem (op-amp based - RC or quadrature (to increase stability)). But I cannot get this tone to modulate my LC tank circuit (LC values chosen to generate around 4.5 MHz). My guess is that the theory is not clear (given that base-collector capacitance plays a role) or I should settle for a different design ( a crystal based one as above). Can I modulate the 4MHz output in your circuit with a simple sine wave? If yes, how do I go about it?

Look up a varactor diode. Unless you have a ham licence, don't put your transmitter in the ham bands. You are more likely to get caught and fined if you operate on ham frequencies.

you need a VCXO (voltage controlled crystal oscillator) which uses a varactor to shift a crystal oscillator.

A crystal oscillator has a very stable frequency due to the crystal but it cannot be FM modulated much.
If you use a low frequency crystal oscillator then double, triple or multiply the frequency then the tiny amount of FM at the lower frequency is also multiplied.

the other method to generate a crystal controlled FM signal is to use a PLL locked to a crystal. the loop filter has a cutoff frequency of about 200hz. the audio (high pass filtered with a cutoff of 250hz) is mixed with the output of the loop filter to provide a control signal to the VCO.

Attachments

• FM-PLL.JPG
    FM-PLL.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back