total voltage presented to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

robo5050

Hello,
I have a general electronics theory-read "nube"-question regarding
two parallel voltage sources applied to the same load.
What I understand of series circuits(and voltage-dividers)is that the
voltages add around the circuit loop;but if two different voltage sources
apply their voltages in parallel to the same load,would the load voltage be the
sum of the voltages,or the greater value of the two voltage supplies???
Thanks for an answere in advance!

You cannot connect two different voltage sources in parallel. If they are batteries then the higher voltage one will try to charge the lower voltage one with an extremely high current.

If they each have a series resistor so they become current sources then their voltage is the average of both.
If they each have a series diode so they become OR gated then the voltage is the highest one minus a diode voltage drop.

RE:Reply to new post

I appreciate the timely reply audio guru;this electronics question has to do more with electric motor control,and more specifically the switching of power sources to reclaim wasted power dissipation while coasting via "regenerative braking."

Great reply,though,thanks!!

With 'regenerative braking' you may get away with schottky diodes to steer the reclaimed power back into the batteries charge circuitry during coasting and braking cycles.

With regenerative breaking don't you need to either use a boost converter or switch to a higher gear ratio to charge the battery?

if not the EMF generated in the motor will be lower than the battery voltage so it won't work.

The boost convertot idea is exactly what I was planning to use in my home brew regenrative braking circuit;the speed @
coasting condotions would probably not be enough to charge the battery pack alone,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…