Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trail camera battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGCB

I have searched this site for a solar battery charger/maintainer for my camera project but seem more confused than before. I don't want to buy parts that won't work and waste my money. What I want to build is a solar charger that will maintain and therefore prevent damage to the battery. I am using a 6 volt 12Ahr battery and expect to use less than 1 Ahr per day (1 amp for 1 minute times 20 cycles. So a 100 mA solar panel at 7.2 volts with 8 hours of good sun should charge .8 Ahr each day, close to what I need. Do these calculations look right? Maybe I should go with next larger solar panel. I'm assuming a direct hookup to battery with a diode will work. Am I missing something?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Aaron

In the 2009 edition of the ARRL Handbook there is a project - "The Micro M+" and it describes a PV charger/controller. The notes at the end indicate that a PC board and partial kits are available from Sunlight Energy Systems. You may find the schematic on line but if not, see if your local library has the Handbook. It may appear in earlier versions than 2009.

So a 100 mA solar panel at 7.2 volts with 8 hours of good sun should charge .8 Ahr each day, close to what I need. Do these calculations look right?
Maybe at the Equator, but not in Michigan. Solar cells are usually rated at the best possible sunlight conditions. It's best to verify the performance before committing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back