Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord_1011

Now then, I have a Ipod (2nd Generation) and i wish to make a amplifier, however i have no real idea where to start, ive been looking around and i found these specs on the audio jack of the Ipod NANO

ipod nano 30 mwatt , 32 ohm , 0.965 volt , 0.03 amps

Now for one i dont know if these are correct but i dug around in my garage and came across some old transistors, and some other bits, i tried a few circuits my dad sugested (tho i dont have any offical schematics they were on bits of paper) but none of them worked, i used a BC 108 transistor, and it always made audio quieter, and i have no idea why???

also:
1)How do you determine how much the transitor will amplfiy by?
2)How do you calculate what resistors to use to bias the transistor?
3)How many transistors would i need to amplify the Ipod to drive this Drive unit:

Impedance 8Ω
Power rating 10W
Frequency response 120Hz - 16kHz
Resonant frequency 120Hz
Sensitivity 1W, 1m 88dB

4)Could you use a Op Amp 741 to amplify the Ipod (if so what inputs etc)?
5)What is Reactance and RMS?

i know there may be quite a few questions there what arent all easy to explain, but any help would be much appreciated and i will give a Cookie to anyone who can answer all! :D:D

What impedance/power level are you trying to drive???

Why don't you just feed the IPod into your home stereo or car's stereo instead of trying to duplicate the expensive speakers, etc?

Last edited:
1) as i stated its a 78mm 10w 8ohm drive unit
2) i need it portable so i can have it in the workshop and can easily be moved when needed (i need it to run off of no more than 12V)

A single transistor won't give you 10W, that much is certain. There are simple ICs that will give you nice linearity and efficiency in a small package. Search Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, and other semiconductor companies to find the IC you want. Also, you can power them from 12V, like you want.

Austin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back