Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

try to make a rectifier circuit to convert 14.5VAC to 14.5VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thcorps

A wealth of information here and I'm excited to now be a part.
I have a small transformer model: DB41X26.5 120V AC TO 14.5V aC
Would like to add a rectifier circuit to it so I can use use it to power a dc project device. PLease, please, please forgive a guy like me who is somewhat new and trying to move forward into the more technical stuff other than just wires etc. Anyone have an idea for a rectifier circuit or is there anything they can be taken out of, like maybe a computer power supply

Hi.

General information about diode rectifiers can be found on Wikipedia.

And yes, you should find a rectifier inside any computer power supply. It could be four diodes or a device with 4 legs that contain the diodes.

Just don't devastate somebody's computer just for the sake of a rectifier ;)

The transformer produces its rated 14.5V RMS only when it has its rated load. Its voltage will be higher when it has less than its rated load. for a small transformer the voltage might be double when it has no load or a light load.

The peak voltage of 14.5V RMS is 20.5V. If the DC current is1A or more then a full-wave-bridge rectifier (4 diodes) has a voltage drop of about 2V. Then a big filter capacitor will charge to 18.5VDC, not 14.5VDC. The 18.5VDC will be higher when the transformer does not have its rated load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back