Trying to find a PCB design program - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandyMan

Hi all,

I wonder if there are any people here who like making their own PCBs?

If so, I'd like some advice on which PCB design program to use please, as I've tried loads and they're either no good, too expensive for the full version, or they only support a minimum of 2 layers (top and bottom copper layer) when I only make simple single-sided PCBs.

I like using the autorouting function of most programs but if they inly support top and bottom layers, then it routes to a bottom layer that I don't use since I'm making PCBs from single-sided laminates.

I want a good component base, the ability to make my own component layout or change the properties of a new component (so my awkward 25 staggered pin amplifier IC can have a home for it on the PCB, since no programs have the layout in them for this one), autorouting which is quite good, preferably the type which picks up and moves components to ease routing, etc., and basically easy to use. Oh, and free would be even better since I only make 1 PCB a year! I'm busy with many other things...

Crocodile RealPCB is the best I've tried so far, it moves components when autorouting to make the best PCB possible and seems very easy to use, but it isn't properly available in full version yet and is for schools, etc., so isn't cheap.

Drawing the circuit in a partner schematic program helps, which is then exported to the PCB program with nets, ready for routing.

Thanks to all who give advice,
James

have you tried eagle? http://www.cadsoft.de

it does everything a typical hobbyist could ever want.

integrated schematic editor and layout tool, so you can go back and forth instantly... full autorouting... (doesn't move components for you though)
and you can add your own components quite easily (you can find tutorials by searching with google, once you learn how it takes just a few minutes to make a new part)

You mention that most programs autoroute on two layers...
eagle does that by default but in the autoroute properties, under the drop-down box for the top layer "preferred direction" you can select "N/A" and it will then only autoroute on the bottom layer. trust me, I too usually do single-sided boards and eagle works great for it.

here are a couple of my recent single-sided layouts, both using autoroute to some extent.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

and also one more (still in full color, like it would appear in the layout editor) that happened to include an 18-pin staggered power driver IC, which sounds similar to what you mentioned, that I simply added myself (design symbol, design footprint, and then link them together)
**broken link removed**

there are a number of PCB design software. i would strongly recommend cadsoft's Eagle as evandude has suggested. also you could try PCB123 which is totally free. Orcad and Protel are also great softwares but they are for the professionals (not that hobbyists cant use them). but ill say that give them a try too!

the more tools you have the better!

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, most helpful indeed.

I am trying Eagle right now, having tried PCB123 but finding it only does double-layered boards.

It seems good and I'm glad that once I suss it out, I should be able to make my own components. I thought it wouldn't work with single-sided at first till I realised I had set the bottom layer to N/A, not the top! Was just writing the prob here when I suddenly wondered if that's what I'd done.

Tomorrow I'll try doing my schematic and see how things go.

Thanks again everyone,
James

Eagle does a pretty good job. The autorouter is fairly smart although I have had cases where it did stupid things with the routing under an SMT component and couldn't figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…