Trying to get best Motherboard CPU combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have two intel motherboards and two intel cpus.

I am wondering which combination may be fasteror is it a wash.

The two cpus are:
Intel core 2 duo E7500 @ 2.93ghz
Intel core 2 quad Q8300 @ 2.50ghz

The two motherboards are:
MSI G41M-25
MSI DG43RK

Any comment would be helpful.

So the Q8300 would be almost twice as fast as the E7500
Only when you have software that can utilize the four cores. I recently swapped my dual core for a quad running at the same frequency, and the difference was pretty subtle for most work. Also notice that on modern processors you rarely have 100% cpu load, or even 100% load on one core.
If you do computation intensive stuff, then a quad core is the way to go, but for something more data intensive that needs lots of disk accesses I would rather invest into an SSD.

Last edited:
Only when you have software that can utilize the four cores.

True - mind you, if I have any graphics rendering / video encoding etc etc then I send it off to one of my servers - both of which have quad cores and are running Linux.

99% of the time they are sitting at idle and the other 1% of the time they are sitting at 400% ........

Thanks picbits and kubeek.

I am afraid my benchmark is no quite so scientific. I go by the length of time it takes my computer to load Windows XP Pro from a cold start. This is why your comments are so helpful.

Presently, I am running the E7500 with the DG43RK motherboard. I just happen to come into possession of the other components for very little money.

The chances are you wouldn't notice much difference between the two on a times windows xp bootup as the bottleneck will be with the hard drive - not the processor.

Thanks, all.

I guess I'll stay with my current setup and use the extra components for a web server.

In the future, prehaps I'll look to moving up to a 64 bit system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…