Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Trying to make a digital oil temp display for car

Status
Not open for further replies.

junks

Hi
I want to build (only because I can't find one!) a digital oil temp display small as poss - has anyone any ideas where to start??
I'm no electronics expert but I can use a soldering iron & I know what a diode is so no confusing terms please!! :roll:

Oh & I pass Maplins quite regularly

Many thanx in advance :wink:

Many of the circuit archives that abound on the web are
listed here.
http://www.solorb.com/elect/

Here is a nice little LCD temperature circuit from japan
well laid out easy to follow instructions. It might be worth
you going and having a look around the RS website
ww.RSwww.com
Plenty of industrial sensors to be found,
register for free to get access to the technical notes.

**broken link removed**

Of course one can do it with a PIC but... for the truly
BONE BLOODY IDLE !!!!
http://www.jkautospares.co.uk/
£68 plus vat @17%

Thanx Tansis - I nearly went for the "bone bloody idol" option (cos that's me!) but th gauge @ JK's is a standard 52mm dia size & I was after something flat & around 50 - 75mm x 25mm.

But I'll check those other links you provided - many thanx :wink:

Sadly Maplin has gone downhill over the last few years
and has become more consumer orientated than hobbyist.

On the bright side Radio Spares has thrown open its multi volume catalog online to anyone with a credit card, and has more digital panel meter modules than you can shake a stick at, unlike the maplin site where I gave up looking without finding one.

Ready made modules are around £30 , but you can do it yourself cheaper
the three and a half digit panel meter ic is a little as £2.50, seven segment LED displays are easy to read in cars and inexpensive, LCD's do look better , but cost more. In the end it's a matter of taste, those pod style gauges are not to everyones liking.

Thanx Tansis - I'd forgotten about RS!

Its going in a Lotus Elise which only just has room for me let alone a pod style gauge hence the reason for a small flat panel one.

I'll check out the RS site now

Many thanx for taking the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back