Tutorials on drafting pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstspec

Hi,

I am interested in learning how to draft pcb. I have software protel 99SE to play with, so I would ask if there is anyone out there with any tutorials which is able to guide me in learning it on my own.

Thanks in Advance

I found ExpressPCB free CAD program easy to learn but you have to use their service. You can use screen save and other trickery to print the circuit for your own use. I have heard good things about the free version of Eagle at but I have not tried it.

Every software works very differently, so you won't be able to find a "general" tutorial. Pick the software you plan to work with, and then google for a tutorial on how to use that software

Are you interested in the design/layout procedure, or more of the "administrative" side of things - how to specify the stuff for the fab house (i.e. the company that actually makes the boards)?

I've been using Protel99 for the last couple years (since I'm not quite happy about jumping into the whole license scheme they've implemented on the newer tools), so if you need any specific tips, feel free to ask.

Also, Protel99 is one of the cheaper packages, so I remember there being a lot of newsgroup/message board traffic concering it.

I have tried several and I like ExpressPCB best, I don't have any problem printing out the artwork for toner transfer. And it allows for easy making of custom components, that can be saved. Eagle has an unconventional interface that did not suit me.

Rolf said:
I have tried several and I like ExpressPCB best, I don't have any problem printing out the artwork for toner transfer. And it allows for easy making of custom components, that can be saved. Eagle has an unconventional interface that did not suit me.
Here is a sample, board size 2" x 1 5/16".
**broken link removed**
Image flipped horizontally for clarity.

In order to learn how to draft a PCB you need to learn several things.

One thing is how to operate the drafting tool. That is addressed in previous posts.

A more important thing is how the tracks, pads, vias and such things should be placed on a circuit board. You should read this tutorial:

**broken link removed**

You will learn much about why things are done in the ways they are done in industry. For example, you will learn the difference between good routing and bad routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…