Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two led circuit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5 = vin - vout = 56 - 15*3.5

I thought your power supply voltage was 56V?

Ohhh good answer. Okay let me see...

Well if I run 16 LEDs @ 3.5V = 56V but the LM317, but the LM317 needs at least 3.25V to work properly so I will need to remove 1 LED.

So, I would need to run 15 LEDs @ 3.5V = 52.5V with 5.5V remaining. This would output 5.5V*0.7A = 3.85W which would require a heatsing which could dissipate (60-20)/3.85 = 10.4 degrees per Watt.

(Max. Heatsink Thermal Resistance = (60 - AmbientTemp) / Power)

The LM317 would still require a 1.8ohms 1W resistor to maintain a current of .7A.

Is this correct?

You might consider building a "constant current" regulator specifically designed for high current LED lighting applications. Here's an interesting link for a 1.5 Amp regulator;

Last edited:
You are just guessing that your LEDs are 3.5V each. Some might be 3.3V and some might be 3.7V. You won't know unless you measure each one.
15 LEDs at 3.7V each is 55.5V plus 3.25V for the LM317= 58.75V.

The link to the instructable is broken.

It's highly unlikely (read near impossible) that all of the LEDs are going to have the highest possible voltage drop so it's reasonable to assume the typical, plus maybe a bit more, which is what we have.

You should be fine with a 58V power supply for powering 15 LEDs with an LM317 - there should be more than enough headroom.

It seems there are a number of purposed 700-ma "constant current" SMPS regulators out there specifically for LED lighting.

Here's one I came across from Sure Electronics for $4.99 (free shipping) that might be worth a look; **broken link removed**

Regards, Mike

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
That's not what the original poster needs though.

It's step-down when he needs step-up and it's 700mA but he only needs 20mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back