types of damages to PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastonanthony

hey, my PIC got quite hot during testing, do you guys think I still have some way of reviving it?it failed the verification test in ICPROG. And while desperately trying to load programs into it, I forgot to clear the code protection bit!!!
I'm in double trouble right now :shock:

You must of fried the PIC there is nothing you can do but buy a new one, that is a common problem and that is the symptoms that usaully happen when you frie your PIC.

:cry: I thought so.. sigh... I guess I'll just keep the fried PIC for remembrance and gonna label it "MY FIRST FRIED PIC"
anyway, thanks for the reply

Ok il tell.

He had his soldering iron on the table (It was on) and his cat came and triped on the irons cable.The soledring iron fell of the table and in a box full of PIC18F micorcontrolers (about 60 ware in there)they all got fryed!

60 PIC18F down the drain! (thats wahat i call bad luck!)

Here's my advice- if you've blown a PIC, be really sure you throw it away! Or if you're not sure, at least label it clearly.

I've had a case where I thought I'd probably blown a pin on it, but wasn't sure, and now I don't know where that part is in the set. I'm afraid on of these days it might turn up and waste a few hours of my time as I try to make the code work on it.

Just how did this fry them? PICs are reasonably well protected against ESD, though certainly not bulletproof. Are you saying the soldering iron set the box on fire?

It overheted them!

they are ment not to go over 125°C but the soldering iron heted them to 400 °C (It was about 20 minutes in there!)

I did melt the plastic case and all of my PICs
berni is right I told him everything that is why he knows it so well and we were talking the sameday it happend.

Yea I managed to get that magic smoke outa my first pic(16f628) but to my amazement if I just used port B and left port A alone it worked fine. Anyway I reckon the smoke appeared after putting 12 volts into a portA pin. I've clearly marked the pic so for future simple programs I use that first just in case.

Cheers Bryan

PIC's are amazingly sturdy devices, they don't seem particularly sensitive to ESD, and they commonly survive plugging in the wrong way round - where they get so hot they burn your fingers. I still have a PIC with my fingerprint burnt in the top, and it works fine!.

My first was

a 16C57 with two pins shortcircuited that rendered the micro almost useless.

I insisted to programm it but not always worked. Finally I accepted that I was spending my time in nothing. Duly marked it lived on my bench for years until disapearing to not return.

More recently two of my 16F877 suffered any kind of abuse like inverted position in the breadboard or the programmer or just one pin displaced.

They are duly marked and seem to work as expected (I think) :?

The best smoke was from a programmable zener TL431 that worked up to the very end while melting the plastic case :!:

That kind of smoke, albeit quite seldom nowadays, makes me feel really unhappy! :cry: :cry:

If you start to have problems with a pic, are there any basic steps to take to confirm that it's dead? I currently have 3 16f628As, 2 fail verification when programming, the third seems to work just fine. At most, the other 2 have been programmed and erased about 100 to 150 times and I can't think of anything else that could have killed them. How long do these usually last?

ok, here's how i accidentally fried the PIC, I got so sleepy and lazy one night and after programming the PIC, I didn't bother to place a 5 volt regulator (7805) upon testing my circuit, I thought that my adjustable adapter could give me exactly 5 volts because it was set at 5 volts, but after frying my PIC, I measured the adaptor output voltage using a multimeter and it turned out to be 11 volts :shock:
I hope you'll not be making this same mistake in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…