Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART or USART, which to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karbos

I have been working on RS-232 communication lately and I am currently at the point of if I should use UART or USART. USART can operate at faster speeds, but UART has more support. Therefore I am quite confused as what to choose. Perhaps any of you could clear up my problem.

Well RS232 uses a UART - so your problem is solved.

I don't see as there's any more support for either?, both are simple, one uses two wires, one uses just one (both plus ground of course).

What are you trying to do?.

A USART is a superset of a UART. If you are asking should you use Synchronous or Asynchronous serial I/O, that's different. Both UART and USART support Async which is what is used by PCs for serial I/O. What specific UART are you looking at and what speeds doesn't it support.

To be more specific the PIC I shall be using is a 18F4620. It has the TX and RX pins, but for TX it states:
"Asynchronous serial transmit data (EUSART module)"
and for RX:
"Asynchronous serial receive data input (EUSART module)"

Am I able to still use UART?

Ok, thanks. I shall use the 18F4620 in UART mode, with both the TX and RX lines. If I am not mistaken, that is all that is needed to use in UART mode correct?

I have built the ST232CN board with the 9 pin connector. I will finish the board over the course of this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back