Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Range Finder HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demokesola

Although I got a cool Idea from a forum on this site, i don't want to completely discard something i had been working on.

Can anyone give me an idea on How easiest to design an Ultrasonic Range Finder.. I want it to do the following:

1. Find the range btw it and an obstacle.
2. Compute the speed of sound for the place its been used.

i've not had much experience with working with Microprocessors. Can someone give me a refernce to start from

Thanks
demokesola

ok firstly, what kind of electronics level are you starting off from? GCSE, A-level, just doing it for fun??

i replyed to an earlyier post about ultrasonics so you may want to look at that.
basicly i made an ultrasonic range finder last year, the results wernt brill but the basic method was sound. for my report i compiled a list of ways to improve it, so i could give you some pointers and sugestions if you need.

PIC knowlage is v important for this project, i started with no PIC knowlage and that set my project back alot!
if your new to pics i sugest the 16F684 from microchip

demokesola said:
Although I got a cool Idea from a forum on this site, i don't want to completely discard something i had been working on.

Can anyone give me an idea on How easiest to design an Ultrasonic Range Finder.. I want it to do the following:

1. Find the range btw it and an obstacle.
2. Compute the speed of sound for the place its been used.

i've not had much experience with working with Microprocessors. Can someone give me a refernce to start from

Thanks
demokesola
Perhaps you know this, but it isn't clear from your post.
You can't do (1) and (2) simultaneously. You first must calculate the speed of sound using a target of known distance. Then you can measure unknown distances.
Distance=speed*time. If you know any two, you can compute the other.

Misterbenn said:
ok firstly, what kind of electronics level are you starting off from? GCSE, A-level, just doing it for fun??

i replyed to an earlyier post about ultrasonics so you may want to look at that.
basicly i made an ultrasonic range finder last year, the results wernt brill but the basic method was sound. for my report i compiled a list of ways to improve it, so i could give you some pointers and sugestions if you need.

PIC knowlage is v important for this project, i started with no PIC knowlage and that set my project back alot!
I posted an all analog ultrasonic parking monitor. I got a PM from the OP saying that it worked perfectly. I asked him to post the results on the forum, but I don't think he did (turkey!).

Last edited by a moderator:
He probobly meens to measure the huminditry and teperature and caculate the speed of sound.These conditions slitly change the speed of sound.And he probobly whats to corect that.

Ron H said:
Misterbenn said:

I posted an all analog ultrasonic parking monitor. I got a PM from the OP saying that it worked perfectly. I asked him to post the results on the forum, but I don't think he did (turkey!).

Thanks. I saw the cct and i'll start working on it right away. Actually it's for my finals and i was really hoping i could use a PIC. There's still time to experiment though, that's why i'll take tis on first.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
first you will need to have a timing circuit which is started a few microseconds after the ranging pulse is sent, this gives you a minimum range but helps to cut down on spurious signals stopping bthe timer. now you need to think about wiether your going to stop the timer on the first pulse back to be recieved into the detector. this might be triggered by other objects in the path of your beam and not your intended target!! and a maximum range for the device. this might be teaching you to suck eggs but i have seen this done a few times, remember that the beam has to travel to the target and back again therefore the time must be halfed before the range calculation can be displayed. i hope this is some help, generally i deal with laser range finders but i supose its the same principle.

guys, cheating in microcontrollers is not fair. this ccct is a total junk as i assume.(sorry for saying that) , for a better working system,please look to pic basic pro compilers (ver 2.6) additional sample projects .it has a ultrasonic distance calculater project. works fine but range is rather low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back