Urgently Needed: Beer Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
I need an alarm that sounds when I'm running dangerously low on beer. Say, when I'm down to my last two 12-ounce bottles.

For 6 pack or 12 or 24?
Thinking if for six pack then 6 switches.
Another solution would be to have a scale that when the weight gets to a predetermined weight (2 beers) then the alarm sounds.
Now if your talking that rice beer with the name of a guy named bud then just run out of beer because it isn't worth restocking.

When I read the title of this thread I laughed.

If you have kegs then Sparkfun has done something that could work for you:

Sparkfun Keg

Or maybe just an AVR using ADC to sense how much weight is on a weight sensor pad?

Last edited:
LOL! I considered getting a kegger, but the beer store only lets the kegs go out for a few days at a time. Even I can't drink them that fast!

When I read the title of this thread I laughed.

If you have kegs then Sparkfun has done something that could work for you:

Sparkfun Keg

Or maybe just an AVR using ADC to sense how much weight is on a weight sensor pad?

I know. Serious funny.

No, no, no the way to do it is have it count down with sensors. Then it's a DTMF that calls you with a recording of your choice

No need to worry. Just appoint me near the beer packs. I'll give you a hint(whistle) when you're running out of it.

I suppose it can't use a microcontroller, needs to be made from the 74 series and is due to be handed in the next day.

Drinking beer releases man-made CO2 into the atmosphere, which causes all bad things to happen. Excessive consumption of beer, in its self, causes many calamities, bad combination. If you need something to remind you to buy more, perhaps you've already had too many... I usually keep a 6-pack of bottles in the frig, mostly for company, but occasionally one or two is nice, after working outside all day. Even in my younger days, I was considered a light drinker. I also keep a bottle of Canadian 'Toothache' medicine in the house, going on 6 years, and still about half full.

I'd go with measuring the weight, you won't have switches to wear out or keep clean, or worry about exact placement of each beer, plus it can easily be adjusted to what ever volume you use. I don't drink enough to worry about it, but if I really want one, there are two bars, and a convenience store just two streets over from my house, easy walk, and can even bring my dog...

The good news is that beer contains no cholesterol but is quite nutritious, so if you need to reduce your cholesterol, eat less and drink more.

Mike.

Well it would be good to your own beer vending machine with an alarm to warn you when you're running low.

Last edited:
I run on beer. All other alternatives give me a massive headache.

So, I am willing to help design a PCB or start a project that warns people like me when beer stocks are at critical levels.

Great idea. Maybe a beer "weighbridge" built into the Fridge....that warns you when stocks are low????

Nothing worse then trying to "shop" for beers.....when your guests are already in your house...

Anybody been there?

Last edited:
I live in the mountains. We have no convenience stores. I know weighing my beer only makes sense, but that involves a significant mechanical effort, and then a bulky and/or heavy mechinism. Hmmmm.... I just wonder if there is a light-weight, easy and cheap solution???

Where would our society be without beer? I understand refrigeration was invented just to keep someone's beer cold.

Last edited:
Hi,

Haven't you guys ever heard of a Wheatstoned bridge?

<little chuckle>

On a more series note...oh wait a minute, there is no more serious note

Last edited:
I need an alarm that sounds when I'm running dangerously low on beer. Say, when I'm down to my last two 12-ounce bottles.

I think this is a matter or perspective. The last two bottles? That isn't low and things should never, ever come to that point. I consider a remaining 12 pack critically low.

First, all beer should be in bottles. The Beer God never intended for beer to be put in cans and I seriously doubt the Beer God ever intended for the word beer to be preceded by the word Lite. Beer is a gift to man from the Beer God. A gift handed down dating back between 3,500 and 9,000 BC. Respect the beer!

Beer should not have a space in a refrigerator but rather have a refrigerator unto itself. Unfortunately here in the US we really have no beer. That with the exception of a few very good micro breweries which produce some fine brews.

I wrote a small software routine to ensure that the beer fridge never runs low. I call it the buybeer.exe file and it runs on spouse. Spouse automatically runs real time scans on beerfridge files. If beerfridge < wellstocked then buybeer Else If beerfridge > wellstocked Then GoTo Start.

Well Stocked means a variety of good brews, it does not mean a single brand or type of beer.

@ BrownOut

Consider a manufacturing process!

Just My Take
Ron

Last edited:
Brownout, you know you can buy your own keg right? Then you just bring it back to them to cleanout and fillup. Or exchange, like propane exchanges. If the store that sells the stuff won't do something like that they're freegin morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…