USB to Parallel Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZdave

I purchased a kit (CK1700) from Electronic Kits to learn PIC programming. It is designed with a parallel port for connection to the PC. I am using MPLAB's software. I would like to know if it is possible to connect my programmer to the PC using a USB-to-Parallel cable and have MPLAB's software find it?

Dave

No, MPLAB requires specific programmers, all of which have to have an on-board processor, which (obviously) has to be running the correct software to talk with MPLAB.

Mostly this limits it to MicroChip products, although their have been a few other programmers that were compatible with the MPLAB interface - most noteably the Warp13 - which unfortunately seems to have finished now.

Thanks Nigel,

Now I understand why they have their software to program the chip. The instructions say to download MPLAB, blah, blah, blah, then use their software to program the chip.

I guess I'll have to share the scanner cable. I curently have an A/B switch between the printer/scanner but don't use the scanner very often.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…