Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using IC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

How many Logic IC's can i use in series (one after the other)?
Should i use a tri-state Buffer?
Does it depend on the Logic Family of the IC ?

What do you mean by "in series", from one output to many inputs, or input to output to input?

ICs should always be connected to the power supply in parallel, never in series.

Last edited:
Thatr's what I meant.

The original poster mentioned a series connection.

Please post a schematic showing examples. It isn't clear what you mean.

I am not an expert and I could easily be wrong but my understanding is that if each IC is having a Vcc and a ground connection, the answer to #1 and #5 should be infinite (in a perfect world).

#11 is not the same question anymore. There is a limit to the fan out (one output to many inputs). I read somwhere that the 74HC family can drive 50+ inputs but only 10 for the 74LS.

Last edited:
Since a CMOS input draws no significant current, a CMOS output can drive a large number of CMOS inputs, limited primarily by how the capacitive loading from each input affects the desired operating speed.

A 74LS or other bipolar logic circuits require the output to sink current for a logic zero on each input. This typically limits the fanout to ten within a given logic family.

He is not talking about "fan out".
Instead he is talking about one IC feeds a second IC that feeds a third IC that feeds a forth IC etc.
There is no problem except maybe the total delay might be too long if the final signal must coincide with a signal having the input timing.

Another typical thread started by r.vittalkiran. A vague question followed by twenty posts speculating what he/she was asking. :D

Instead he is talking about one IC feeds a second IC that feeds a third IC that feeds a forth IC etc.
There is no problem except maybe the total delay might be too long if the final signal must coincide with a signal having the input timing.

one output to another input and so on for about 5-6 IC's...(Vcc=5V)
fan out?

This 'quote' was posted by the OP.

I would say fan out is what is being asked about, not serial connecting.

I would agree with MikeL's post, this OP frequently asks vague questions, perhaps we should insist he in future gives a clear description of his problem..

Last edited:
It is amazing. So many good contributors in this forum, trying to reply questions that look like a troll every time.

Some serious questions have less luck in comparison.

I cannot believe he is serious in asking things like that.

Thank You Everyone...

Sorry to annoyed ones, i had that doubt...

Last edited:
Thank You Everyone...

Sorry to annoyed ones, i had that doubt...

hi,
I would suggest that you post a simple sketch diagram for future questions, in addition to the text description.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back