Using IC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

How many Logic IC's can i use in series (one after the other)?
Should i use a tri-state Buffer?
Does it depend on the Logic Family of the IC ?

What do you mean by "in series", from one output to many inputs, or input to output to input?

Last edited:
I am not an expert and I could easily be wrong but my understanding is that if each IC is having a Vcc and a ground connection, the answer to #1 and #5 should be infinite (in a perfect world).

#11 is not the same question anymore. There is a limit to the fan out (one output to many inputs). I read somwhere that the 74HC family can drive 50+ inputs but only 10 for the 74LS.

Last edited:
Since a CMOS input draws no significant current, a CMOS output can drive a large number of CMOS inputs, limited primarily by how the capacitive loading from each input affects the desired operating speed.

A 74LS or other bipolar logic circuits require the output to sink current for a logic zero on each input. This typically limits the fanout to ten within a given logic family.

He is not talking about "fan out".
Instead he is talking about one IC feeds a second IC that feeds a third IC that feeds a forth IC etc.
There is no problem except maybe the total delay might be too long if the final signal must coincide with a signal having the input timing.

Another typical thread started by r.vittalkiran. A vague question followed by twenty posts speculating what he/she was asking.

one output to another input and so on for about 5-6 IC's...(Vcc=5V)
fan out?

This 'quote' was posted by the OP.

I would say fan out is what is being asked about, not serial connecting.

I would agree with MikeL's post, this OP frequently asks vague questions, perhaps we should insist he in future gives a clear description of his problem..

Last edited:
It is amazing. So many good contributors in this forum, trying to reply questions that look like a troll every time.

Some serious questions have less luck in comparison.

I cannot believe he is serious in asking things like that.

Thank You Everyone...

Sorry to annoyed ones, i had that doubt...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…