Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using single port of MIMO Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what little I know about the MIMO technology, I don't think there's any advantage to the use of the antenna you listed if only one "side" is used. To be sure, there might be a gain increase (about 2.5 dB I think), just don't know enough about your circumstances to assess the usefulness of that gain.

But, only by using both antennas (as one could with a two antenna mobile receiver) can the full advantage(s) of the basic MIMO technology be realized.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your share of information.

Do you think the signal I'd receive from the X Antenna, when using just one port of it, would be still OK?
I mean, will I get a distorted signal because the antenna was designed for two ports?

Additional question please.
Regarding the Not-Connected Port of the X Antenna, should it be connected to 50ohm?
Or should it remain not connected to anything?

Thank you.

Last edited:
It's two different antennae, not connected to each other (one is for receive, the other for transmit).

I suspect that for receiving there will be no interaction. Transmitting might result in some inductive interaction and if that is the case, terminating the un-used antenna will likely aggravate that interaction.

Thus, it would be best to not terminate it.

Probably you should test the system for performance with and without the termination of the un-used antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back