V regulator: +ve, -ve and Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Erosennin and Eric

Thank you for your replies.

In the past I have thrown together a single cell recharger based on the MAX1555:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/11/MAX1551-MAX1555.pdf

This was ultra simple. I was recharging a 1000mAhr battery.
Thus the rate of charging using the MAX1555 (see page 4 graph on top right): 280/1000=0.28C So I guess that this is ok?

Now I need to charge 2 batteries in series.
I have been trying to come up with 2 MAX1555 circuits working separately on 2 batteries, but the batteries are connected.
The charging will be: 280/170=1.65C so this is too fast?
However if I refer to that graph, I see that the MAX1555 will cut the current once a certain V is reached.
Basically I am very confused on two levels:
(a) Can 2 MAX1555 in "separate" circuits be used to charge 2 170mAhr batteries that are connected in series?
(b) Is the charging rate too fast?

Thank you for all your help, I hope that you can help me understand this problem.

Best Regards
a.

a) I don't believe so
b) It's slightly high for my comfort...

The problem is, with the two batteries in series, their cumulative voltage is now 7.4V - the thing is, both batteries will not discharge at exactly the same rate although we would all like them to, and this gets worse as time goes on. This creates a problem when charging as one battery may be charged and the other still partly charged.

Is it vital that you charge the batteries in circuit? Otherwise with the max1555, 2 of your LiPos in parallel will work fine... It's just that I haven't experienced a battery charger that operates with the cells in series... (Might be due to my age???)

Hi Erosennin

Yes it is important that I charge the two batteries which have to be in series (I need 7.4V regulated down to 5V) in circuit. (I tried using dc-dc converter and one battery to double my voltage, but that produced huge amounts of noise throughout my circuit).

I will charge the two batteries until they are fully charged. That way their difference will not matter (I think).

Thank you
a.

With lithium polymers I would by a good charger, their failure modes include anything from puffed up cells to fire balls. A commercial charger is worth the expense and they are very flexible.

Also, I agree not to charge faster than 1C. Discharge rates can be up to 20C these days, but I have not seen charge rates listed at much more than 1C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…