Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

varying time duration potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob5567

I'm attempting a home project and could use some help on a circuit to vary the duration from 'off to on' on a 120v AC outlet. I need to be able to adjust the time it takes to go from off to on position during a time of 5 to 30 minutes. Any ideas?

I'm attempting a home project and could use some help on a circuit to vary the duration from 'off to on' on a 120v AC outlet. I need to be able to adjust the time it takes to go from off to on position during a time of 5 to 30 minutes. Any ideas?

Not sure what you are getting at here? Do you mean you want to ramp the voltage up from 0 volts to 120 VAC over a period of 30 seconds? That or do you mean from power on you want a delay of 5 to 30 seconds before the mains 120 VAC goes somewhere?

Ron

I want to turn a lamp from off to on, with an increasing light intensity (based on voltage input) over a time frame of 5 to 30 minutes (not seconds). Id like to be be able to adjust the time in which this dimmer fully brightens. I don't know the best way mechanically to go about this, whether it be a servo controlled potentiometer or maybe a stepper motor? It's a long time frame... Thanks Ron

I keep thinking that this came up recently and one of the Mikes here presented a good circuit? I just can't find it. One possible solution might be to start with something like this kit from Velleman. Then just make a circuit to slowly ramp a DC level in. Maybe as simple as a pot to set time and a capacitor. Cap charges through the pot in typical RC time constant? Then switch to discharge the cap? Something like that.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back