Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vibration / motion leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverdale0247

Hi can anyone help. I want to make a motion or vibration switched light. It is to go into a model train. I want it to be battery powered from a 3v circular battery and to power between 1 and 10 less
The idea is that when the train moves the lights come on then when the train stops the lights need to Stay on for around 5 mins but then go off to save on batteries and the need for an external switch

Running 10 LEDs from a small coin-cell will flatten it in next to no time :(. If the LEDs are white ones you would probably need a DC-DC boost circuit to drive them.
What gauge is the model (which will determine component choice)?
Are you looking for a discrete-component solution, or an MCU one?
What is the LED spec?

I would prefer a discrete one the less are in the case of the single led one. A 1.8mm 2.6v led.
In the case of the multi ones probably use say 8 3mm 2.6v
Due to size restrictions as these would be going in a 1/87 ho or 1/76 oo scale train

Have you considered powering the LEDs from the track supply instead of a battery?

Yes but that will require friction free contacts which are rather expensive. Also some of my older triang stock have plastic wheels and axles

Are you able to work with small surface-mount components, e.g. SOIC-14 chips and SOT-23 transistors?
Could you fit two or three AAA cells instead of the 3V coin cell?
Would a delay before switch-off of less than 5 minutes be ok (it would prolong battery life and might simplify the circuit or reduce circuit/component size)?

You could try this :-
ModelRailwayLights.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back