Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vienna Rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

John626

I am working on designing a Vienna power supply and am having a lot of difficulty figuring out how to do this. I am an experienced power supply designer. Does anyone have a link or any comprehensive content on how to design a Vienna?

Thanks
John

So I give up; what's a Vienna power supply/rectifier? one approved by Sigmund Freud?

I find it interesting that the only Google hits I find are your questions on the subject, asked on several other forums ...

Is it related to a vienna sausage i.e., just a bunch of baloney?;)

Actually there is such a bridge configuration used apparently in high power designs of power supplies.

I found this snippet. Reads in part:
The Vienna Rectifier is shown in figure 2.

It can also provide sinusoidal input currents and controlled DC-voltage. The control is of comparable effort, and the DC-side neutral point can be stabilized easily (this had been a main concern of engineers).

· Semiconductor blocking voltages reduces by factor 2

· Just three power switches

· Higher efficiency

· You cannot short-circuit the DC by control-failure

· No energy-feedback into the mains possible

Image attached.

I have never seen the design used but then too I don't design high power supplies.

Ron

Attachments

• Vienna Bridge.gif
    Vienna Bridge.gif
    59.2 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back