Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkay

I have an Alfatronix PS3 24v dc to 13.6v dc powerverter and require to reduce the output to 12v. Is there a compnent that can easily be utilised in-line with the output to achieve this?

There are several possibilities depending on the load. A shunt regulator consisting of a series resister and shunt 12 volt zener diode is probably the simplest. Normally, an extra couple of volts aren’t important and cheap self-contained power supplies that are rated at 13.6 v tend to drop to 12.6 v or even 12 volts when they have their designed load connected.

I have an Alfatronix PS3 24v dc to 13.6v dc powerverter and require to reduce the output to 12v. Is there a compnent that can easily be utilised in-line with the output to achieve this?

Hi,

What you use mostly depends on what kind of load(s) you intend to drive with the output as Gary was nice enough to mention. If you need exactly 12v then you'll have to use a regulator of some type, but if you dont need a really accurate voltage then you may even get away with a few diodes in series. It depends on the load so maybe you can tell us what kind of load or loads you intend to drive with this thing and what current it (they) draw.

For example, i have a 12v soldering iron where i can set the input to anything between 12v to 13v and it doesnt matter that much as it works with several voltages. For your application if you take 13.6 and subtract two voltage drops 1.4v you get 12.2v output, which may be close enough for your application. The diodes have to be rated for the full current draw too however. I'm guessing that your output can go as high as 3 amps but you really need to tell us this specification.

Last edited:
The actual output measured with a multi meter is 13.2v. Could i just get away with a couple of 3a rectifier diodes in series on the output to get it a bit closer to 12v, am assuming each diode would drop approx 0.5v across it.

The powerverter produces continuous load of 3a with a max of 6a, i'm using it to run an asus net book from a 24v supply. The netbook's ac power supply has a stated output of 12v dc 3a, the output measured with a multi meter is 12.2v.

What type of diodes would i require to use to achieve the suggested 1.4v drop?

Hi again,

Well there is the 6A05-T diode which is rated for 6 amps and that is 52 cents each at Digikey. You may also want to pick up a 6amp Schottky diode just in case the two 6A05-T diodes drop too much voltage. One 6A05-T diode in series with a Schottky will drop just a little less voltage so you may want to do it that way, although two 6A05-T will probably work ok.
Another thing to keep in mind is that when these diodes are operating they need free air flow around each diode so they dont overheat.

Do you happen to know what kind of batteries the notebook runs on (and how many it has) when it's not plugged into the wall?

Last edited:
would this be a suitable diode to use:

Part Max. recurrent Max. RMS Max. DC blocking
number peak reverse voltage voltage
P600A 50V 35V 50V

Specifications:
Max. Average forward rectified current: 6A
Peak forward surge current: 400A
Max. DC reverse current: 5uA
Junction capacitance typ.: 150pF
Temperature range: -50 to +150 C
number peak reverse voltage voltage voltage

Last edited:
... i'm using it to run an asus net book from a 24v supply. The netbook's ac power supply has a stated output of 12v dc 3a, the output measured with a multi meter is 12.2v. ...

Do you have a DC power cord for the netbook that would run it in a standard 12V vehicle? If so, connect it between the 13.2V supply and the netbook. Or take it apart, to see how it is made. If all it has is an in-line fuse, then the netbook will run just fine on voltages up to 14.5V, which is what you would encounter in a car with the alternator charging.

would this be a suitable diode to use:

number peak reverse voltage voltage
P600A 50V 35V 50V

Specifications:
Max. Average forward rectified current: 6A
Peak forward surge current: 400A
Max. DC reverse current: 5uA
Junction capacitance typ.: 150pF
Temperature range: -50 to +150 C
number peak reverse voltage voltage voltage