voltage rgulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
bad_phonics_monkey said:
can anyone show me a way to make a 1.5 to 30 volt ajustable voltage using a 9V battery.

hi,
Give us more information regarding the specification, is it PP3 [9Vbty]??
and how much current do want from the 1.5/30v output.

If you are talking a few milliamps, then you require a step up boost regulator to get from +9V to +33v and follow this with a LM317 adjustable regulator for 1.5V thru +30v.

it is a pp3 and i don't think i need a lot of current a few milliamps sounds fine cheers.

bad_phonics_monkey said:
it is a pp3 and i don't think i need a lot of current a few milliamps sounds fine cheers.

hi,
Get the LM317 datasheet from www.datasheetarchive.com this will cover the
+1.5V thru 30V after the boost regulator, which will be a small switched mode power supply to get the nominal +9V upto +33V.

If you search the web for switched mode power supplies you will find lots of circuits.

Yeah, it would be cheaper too. $2 for 4 9V as compared to $5 or more. Just use a bunch of 9V's. The current will constantly be dropping too, so you would probably just want to get a dedicated power supply, AKA a computer power supply. 5V and 12V are what a computer is guaranteed to have. If it doesnt, I would be suprised.

What do you need 9V for anyways?

As a matter of fact, you can probably hack a old PSU to give the required Voltage. Just Modify Feedback with a variable resistor.

hi Krumlink, [Hope your studies are going well, good luck.]

hi Overclocked,

The OP has asked how to use a 9Vbty [PP3] to provide a +1.5 thru +30v variable voltage.
He MAY have a mobile project that requires the use of a small 9Vbty, if thats so, a PC psu would not be an option.

Perhaps he could say whats the +1.5/30V requirement for...

bad_phonics_monkey said:
can anyone show me a way to make a 1.5 to 30 volt ajustable voltage using a 9V battery.
Here is a schematic of one I built a few years ago. With the values shown the voltage is 45V from a 9V battery. The load was a 10 Pot. If you change the values of R1 and R2 to those shown the output will be 36V

Attachments

• 9v to 45v pump.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 130
You ideally want a SEPIC converter for this sort of requirement but I haven't seen one that will work with such a wide output voltage.

What are you using this to power?

Do you want a portable DC power supply?

I would use three 12V 4Ah sealed lead acid batteries and an adjustable buck switching regulator.

thanks for all the replys people i would have replyed sooner but hade some pc problems. i'm not to certain yet what i want to do all i know is it something to use with a guitar. i know thats a bit unhelpful but i got the idea to do somthing for my guitar after i rebuilt it from a 3 singel coiled 5 way selector pick up to a 2 humbucker 3 way selector style. that was the first electronics project i did and what got me interested. i've looked at some home built fx pedals on google and seen things like mini amps, distortion, overdrive, voltage doubler, booster and eq's but don't know what to go for. i'd like to maybe try a overdrive/distortion and the voltage doubler but instead of a doubler make it adjustable. so if anyone has any good suggestions, links or ideas that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…