Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage separator??

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjel

I want to make a circuit where the input has a range of DC voltages (0-10V) and there are multiple outputs that the input voltage can be routed to based on value.

For example: if there were 4 outputs and they were set so that if the input was 0-2.5V it would go out ouput1, 2.5-5V out output 2, 5-7.5 out ouput3, and 7.5-10 out output 4.

It would be even better if I could adjust the crossover voltage point so that I could change the way the range was divided up.

How would I implement a circuit like this?

I want to make a circuit where the input has a range of DC voltages (0-10V) and there are multiple outputs that the input voltage can be routed to based on value.

For example: if there were 4 outputs and they were set so that if the input was 0-2.5V it would go out ouput1, 2.5-5V out output 2, 5-7.5 out ouput3, and 7.5-10 out output 4.

It would be even better if I could adjust the crossover voltage point so that I could change the way the range was divided up.

How would I implement a circuit like this?

Do you just need the voltage signal (ie. no current) or do you need to power something with this (ie. need voltage and current)?. Is the input voltage going to be larger or smaller than the output? If the input is always larger than the output and you only need the voltage signal then it's really easy . Just make a multi-step resistor divider with 5 resistors in series (more if you want) and buffer each output with a op-amp voltage follower. Instead of resistors in series you could use multiple potentiometers in the resistive divider configuration wired series with each other which would let you have everything be adjustable.

If the input could be smaller than the input (whether it is always smaller or just smaller sometimes) or if you need output current from the circuit to power something, things get more complicated since you are now looking at rather fancy switching DC-DC converters (with multiple taps on the output inductor or transformer so you can get multiple output voltages).

Last edited:
Look at an LM3914. It has 10 outputs; which turn on/off as the input voltage changes. In the dot mode (only one of ten outputs active at a time) , it sounds like it might do what you want. Add some analog switches (4066) to actually switch the input voltage to ten different places.

Look at an LM3914. It has 10 outputs; which turn on/off as the input voltage changes. In the dot mode (only one of ten outputs active at a time) , it sounds like it might do what you want. Add some analog switches (4066) to actually switch the input voltage to ten different places.

great that sounds like a logical solution! That is just using an led VU meter driver to control a MUX... makes so much sense since that has to divide up voltages to activate each led.

great that sounds like a logical solution! That is just using an led VU meter driver to control a MUX... makes so much sense since that has to divide up voltages to activate each led.

The 3914 has equal switching points; 3915 has 3db per step logarithmic switching points; the 3916 has VU steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back