Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanted to bounce an idea off you guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue5

I recently was reading about metal detectors and anti-theft devices that you see in stores. I was wondering how accurate these anti-theft gates can be.
The idea is to implant a couple of tags in the outer panels of a soccer ball, then basically make the EM field inside the goal (as deep as the diameter of the ball) and wire the trigger to a flashing light like they do in Hockey.
could this work to within an inch or so, or would the accuracy be more like a foot.
just think this could help reduce football riots due to blown calls by the linesman... (then again they'll just riot over something else.)

I've been racking my brain lately for some senior project ideas, and this is just one that has come up, plus I'm sick of watching my team lose due to bad calls (they lose often enough due to bad playing... :(

Thanks

Not sure of the impact it will have on the crowd initially but it does make a lot of sense. I coached soccer for years and well understand the difficulties in making calls. Seems like it would be hard to find a sensor that would trigger that precisely over such a wide area. If I remember right it's one of those "any part of the ball that crosses the plane" - the sensor would have to indicate that.

Multiple cameras in the goal - looking across the plane that has to be crossed - might also work. Someone would need to watch or review the video so more like instant replay.

Don't give up - seems like there's a way.

Steve

The antishoplifting systems (RF,magnetic,ultrasonic-magnetic) have about 0.5sec response time, cannot detect the tag when it moving with high speed. And the accuracy... this is a field between the antennas, and cannot determine the exact trigger point.

Hmmm, that's too bad, I was hoping they'd be a bit more exact, oh well, I guess it doesn't need to be in order to catch shoplifters.
guess it's back to the drawing board
Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back