Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Washing A PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems people have forgotten some old terms

Denatured alchohol is the same as methylated spirits

It is wood alchohol i think with a bittering additive to stop people drinking it

Denatured alcohol is a generic term that can be used to refer to any form of alcohol that has been rendered unfit for human consumption, although ethanol is what it most commonly refering too if he just asked for denatured alcohol at a hardware store it doesn't surprise me that either the package or the person said it was denatured alcohol.

It is wood alchohol i think with a bittering additive to stop people drinking it
I can imagine it would taste bad enough as it is, without needing a bittering additive.

So for future reference, denatured alcohol is the same as ethanol alcohol which is the same as ethyl alcohol?

I wouldn't want to find out.
I don't think it's actually directly poisonous the byproducts after it goes through the liver is what's bad for you excluding the fact that it's acidic, so it might not trigger a general 'don't imbide this' reaction from most people, at least it shouldn't be any harder to drink than straight grain alcohol.
That's one of the reasons it's so bad for pets, it smells sweet and tastey and it doesn't trigger an involuntary gag reaction or anything. Used to be very common in Anti-freeze and sometimes windshield washer fluid, used less now because of the danger to household pets that don't know any better.
Ever heard of a Sterno drinker? People used to actually intentionally drink the stuff. Destroys the stomach because the acidity and the liver byproducts build up to toxic levels fairly fast if any significant amount is had. It does however result in a 'high'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back