Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

We need a Forum contest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm Down

JimB said:
No, No, No, you have it all wrong.
The TIP is normal size, it is just a very small workbench!

JimB

When i read this reply, i felt that you are sort of cool-quick-mind person who can make jock of anything. but your last reply show a very different character of angry and not accepting others funny words.

i am sure most of the particpents in this thread are respecting you and each other, but you are in **** Chat, so calm down and accept everybody's jock since we accpted yours.

aljamri said:
When i read this reply, i felt that you are sort of cool-quick-mind person who can make jock of anything. but your last reply show a very different character of angry and not accepting others funny words.

i am sure most of the particpents in this thread are respecting you and each other, but you are in **** Chat, so calm down and accept everybody's jock since we accpted yours.

Can someone please explain to me what aljamri is on about?

JimB

Hank Fletcher said:
Just for the record, I have no affection for being referred to as "Hanky," or other variations thereof. Just "Hank" is fine, some people even call me sir.
I am sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Posts edited!
-Omar

Can someone please explain to me what aljamri is on about?

JimB
With all due respect to aljamri, I think we're getting a mixed criticism here. It took me a couple times reading, and I'm still not sure, but I think he's remarking on how in light of your comment about the small workbench (which made me giggle), Krumlink is taking folks' jokes, and perhaps himself, a little too seriously.

To be fair to aljamri also, there is only an implicit protocol for replying to threads when it comes to quotes. I think usually when we quote someone and then use "you" in our reply, we're referring to the person being quoted, not the original poster.

English is likely not aljamri's first language, but I think it's obvious from his post that he has a sense of humour. For this reason, I'd like to point out what I think is probably a malapropism in his use of the word "jock" instead of "joke."

i felt that you are sort of cool-quick-mind person who can make jock of anything...
Ew!

...so calm down and accept everybody's jock since we accpted yours.
Ew and ew!!!

*Just for clarity, since "jock" has many meanings around the globe: in the U.S. and to a lesser extent Canada, a "jock" is a male, below-the-belt undergarment, although the term in this sense is perhaps antiquated, I think. Aljamri should know that "jock" can also be construed as a derogatory reference to a Scottish person (which JimB is), which I think is accidental in this case, but all the more funny because of it.

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
"jock" can also be construed as a derogatory reference to a Scottish person (which JimB is), which I think is accidental in this case, but all the more funny because of it.

Not quite right, I am actually English but have lived in Scotland for nearly 30 years.

JimB

:mad:

I just want some suggestions as to what we should do!!!
:mad: :confused:

I've made two suggestions so far, both great, and you've effectively ignored them. Why shoud anyone make any more suggestions if you're not interested in engaging them in constructive dialogue?

Incidentally, what you're looking for is what we call in educational psychology an "extrinsic motivator." You're looking for a carrot-on-a-stick, an "A" for your effort, a prize for reaching your benchmark. If you're doing something you love, you don't need an extrinsic motivator. The love of what you're doing is what's called an "intrinsic motivator," and you do what you do because it has purpose, meaning, and reward all unto itself. You're in a transition period, because you're in school where we use extrinsic motivators all the time. Extrinsic motivators are used to educate young people because no one initially has the capacity to reason that loving what they do, and doing what they love, is a reasoned and most practical solution to the arduousness of life's endeavours. The problem you're encountering vis-a-vis an electronics competition on this forum is that despite the fact many members may be professionals in the field of electronics, they for the most part attend this forum as amateurs in a literal sense: they come because they love it, not because they have to. Because merely attending the forum and engaging themselves in discussions where they share information and experiences in a loosely structured environment is adequate reward in itself, most forum members will not be enticed by a more structured complication that has at its core an extrinsic motivator (i.e. a prize) providing little additional incentive to them.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Picbits, I'll bet I have you beat for workspace density. Send a few photos.
I would but I can't actually get in there with a camera :D

Old workshop:
**broken link removed**

Got fed up with sharing the room with the tumble dryer, washing machine and it used as a corridoor to the toilet so built myself something a bit bigger .....

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

No sooner than I had finished building it, fitting the aircon/satellite etc and I had to move in a hurry.

Now moved into this workshop I've built inside the garage - its quite small and shortly after this picture was taken I managed to fill it.

**broken link removed**

Heres my almost finished homebuilt CNC machine in it

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Does my computer controlled washing machine complete with WinWash2000 operating system qualify for a valid competition entry ?

**broken link removed**

So lets have a Collaberation apparently...

I love electronics, not that I have to. I found all this goodness on my own. I wanted to create a little competition (although now it is warped) so that people could share ideas and others could see what others could do with what they are required to use. I then realized that it would be near impossbile to unite everybody under one roof, except the roof this server is under. Therefore, I think that everybody should still be in a competition, but instead the reward is self satusfaction and ideas. For example, if we had to create a light seeking robot using chip xxx, we could see what others had to put forth. They could see the ideas of others, and that would be the reward.

So, I suggest that this idea is much more solid and much easier. I self taught myself electronics, ever since I as 9. The only learning I get for electronics is this forum, my books, and the everfaithful (usually) google browser.

We could see the project in other people's ideas, from region to region. Instead of seeing and understanding so little of each project, lets all throw ourselves together and come up with fun little projects using the chips and parts specified. I think this will be much more entertaining, hearing about peoples hardships, ideas, successes and failures. They are not pressured to enter, but they will probably see it as a fun, entertaining project for the forum.

For local contests, I am the only one in perhaps the only one in the COUNTY for my age group that can understand the depth that I know. That is not feseable, seeing as how many jocks and total ******** that roam the streets proclaiming themselves as "smart, intellegent, nice". I just wish that more people had the passion for electronics and science. It is truely sad. When they do get hooked, it is too late, and they are just another statistic, another average joe. They need to get hooked early and use their brains to for extreme thoughts, such as figuring out electronics, PICs, and other things. This is the truth to my anger.

Another issue is that I can't get any funding, sponsorship (except for my friends at advanced circuits), or money. I need funds and sponsorship or else I am dead in the water

Why should the majority of people, who you openly despise, sacrifice their hard-earned money to support your interests? What argument have you offered, that by contributing to your efforts there will be any benefit to them? Have you, or are you dedicated to, some electronics design that will, for instance, cure AIDS, feed hungry people, or house cold people?

Perhaps the reason why everyone in your neighbourhood seems too busy to devote their time to the same education you have the luxury of exploring is that they're working hard at their jobs to earn just enough money to support their needs, and what's leftover, if anything, is spread out over a variety of their interests. I suggest you solve your problems by doing the same thing 99% of the rest us have (or have had) to do: get a job. If getting a job will interfere with what to you are deemed greater priorities, such as your education, then do what the rest of us had to do in that situation, and learn to be satisfied with living within your means.

Last edited:
Krumlink, all that is grand and nice, but who do you have to manage it all? You can't just throw people together, especially those of a scientific or engineering slant and expect them to just collaborate, people don't work that way, and that's what you're working with, not ideas, ideals, or concepts, People. Hence Hank's somewhat bitter rant which I can't help but slightly side with. Spend your time learning about psychology, human interaction and complex system interaction and you'd still fail without a good solid understanding of what it's like to actually be, work with and around (succesfully) people.

I'm not bitter, I'm just calling it like I see it. It's just that I've never craved or otherwise expected a silver spoon, nor fully empathized with those people who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back