Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What chips 2 Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I am about to restock on parts, and I was wondering what type of analog chips I should get, such as op amps, comparators, etc that you commonly use, not to mention anythign else you enjoy using, as I need to restock.

Thanks

(PS I am ordering from Jameco)

Krumlink said:
I am about to restock on parts, and I was wondering what type of analog chips I should get, such as op amps, comparators, etc that you commonly use, not to mention anythign else you enjoy using, as I need to restock.

Thanks

(PS I am ordering from Jameco)

Well it's hard to give specific recommendations as there are so many to choise from and only you know what type of projects you might wonder into.

Op amps are a must but there are so many to choice from, I like the fet input models such as TL072 etc. 555 timer chip is very useful. Cmos analog switch 4066 (?) has unique applications. And of course a variety of 3 pin linear regulator chips of various negative and positive voltage values are always in big demand.

Lefty

Not to drag this off topic, but if you order from Jameco, choose US mail for shipping or it will take a week for you to get your stuff! I orderd some relays new years day, they shipped the 2nd and arrived in my mailbox today via US mail. Last time I ordered a made the mistake of using UPS, and it took a week from the time my stuff left the warehouse in CA to the time I got it.

IC sockets are always good to have. You seem to like to build robots so maybe some IR proximity detectors, H-bridge ICs, geared motors, etc.
But the best thing to do is order parts for a project you have in mind. Maybe find something on the Web that interests you and order parts to build that.
You could also order a "grab bag" which gives you a ton of parts for a small price:
100 IC sockets: Jameco P/N 105620
100 assorted transistors: Jameco P/N 18171PS
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/01/P142.pdf

Last edited:
sorry to veer off topic, but i was wondering, if i order from jameco online, could i still pay via check/money order (snail mail)?

I was waiting to get their newest catalog in the mail, but i have noticed that they have been getting thinner and thinner, so i was wondering if i could look online (as that seems to be the newest/cheapest trend). Also, i know that jameco has a lot of VIP shipping specials. Such as free shipping on order over $70. I want to take advantage of that.... I plan on getting A LOT of stuff.... (i am in diar need of a multimeter...)

sorry for taking the thread hostage...

I have bad luck trying to send money via mail and have it merge with an order placed on the web. Not Jameco but elsewhere. It slowed the order down by at least a week. I doubt most places do that on a regular basis and they are not setup to do it with any speed. It is an execption.

Maybe you can make the order on the web (but not submit it), print it and send the paper copy in with the money order.

that is another thing i was thinking... i wonder if they allow that? I don't see why not... either way, i need some max232 chips, a bunch of 74ls series chips, a few hundred feet of wire some resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, and, most importantly of all; a multimeter. ;)

PIC18F1320 and 18F2525 :)
They're like a drawer full of parts! (thousands of transistors for only a few dollars)
0.1uf caps when you go digital
A 4x4 keypad can be fun so can a 16x2 LCD display.

Leftyretro said:
And of course a variety of 3 pin linear regulator chips of various negative and positive voltage values are always in big demand.
The 5V devices are useful but it you're stuck for space, all you really need are some LM317s and LM337s; you can get different voltages by using different resistors.

Marks256 said:
that is another thing i was thinking... i wonder if they allow that? I don't see why not... either way, i need some max232 chips, a bunch of 74ls series chips, a few hundred feet of wire some resistors, capacitors, diodes, LEDs, and, most importantly of all; a multimeter. ;)

Multi meter first.

On resistors and caps it may be better/cheaper to go to an Ebay store and buy an assortment/set. Depends on how many values you are going to get.

I have both 1/4 and 1/8 watt resistors. I like to use the 1/4 watts with breadboards because they have stiffer leads. The 1/8 watt resistors take less space on circuit boards. I buy 1Ks and 10Ks by the 100s.

The 1N4148. Also 1N4001.

I think we talked about how logic chips were all but dead. If you need more then one or two for a circuit a PIC is a less expensive and more flexible replacement. Buy what just what you have plans for or most of them will just take up space.

While you are sampling PICs get at least one I2C EEPROM. A I2C real time clock would be nice to play with.

Get a few opamps. The analog guys know what is good. I have found the TL072s to be useful. Nigel uses them his ADC tutorial and Audiogru helped me build a nice mic preamp using one.

EDIT:
You might think about building a mondo superprobe. It has 17 functions. Mostly I use are capacitance meter, logic probe, and frequency counter, See if you can find the display for it a Jameco. (let me know). If we can still get displays I am going to have krumlink build one. They are very handy.

I have one that works but does not fit in a case. I designed a new board that does but have never assembled it to see how well it and the display fit the case. If you and krumlink want to build one I could pick that back up and finish it. The PCBs would be on me.

Last edited:
i was going to get a large assortment from jameco. I think there was like 2700 resistors (27 different values, 100 of each) for $24 from jameco.

dumb question; what is I2C? I keep seeing that everywhere... :confused:

Yes it is. You can, should look it up.

wikipedia said:
I2C is a multi-master serial computer bus invented by Philips that is used to attach low-speed peripherals to a motherboard, embedded system, or cellphone. The name stands for Inter-Integrated Circuit and is pronounced I-squared-C and also, incorrectly, I-two-C. As of October 1, 2006, no licensing fees are required to implement the I²C protocol.

Many of the devices can be had in 8 pin dips like EEPROMs and RTCs. It is a bus so you can string several together on the same 2 processor IO pins (bus). It is synchronous.

It saves a lot of wires/traces.

Last edited:
i could look it up, but that would require me to move my mouse to the top of the screen, open a new tab, and google i2c... too much energy required... X-D

ok. that explains a lot of stuff...

Marks256 said:
a bunch of 74ls series chips

LS series is mauvais ton these days. Go with HC. Get some HC595 and HC165 shift registers - they are quite handy as a glue between SPI and simple peripherals such as matrix keyboards and character LCDs. Also get some Schmitt triggers and inverters.

TL072 and NE5532 are good dual op amps for dual supply applications. Popular in audio. Both are very inexpensive.

Marks256 said:
i could look it up, but that would require me to move my mouse to the top of the screen, open a new tab, and google i2c... too much energy required... X-D
I²C on Wikipedia. I've been seeing it quite a bit myself lately (haven't been much into electronics until recently and barely into anything complex).

It is not a big deal but if you do not have a resistor assortment I would start with a set that has more values and fewer per value. In short order you will find out what you are using a lot of and can order them by the 100s.

This kit has 20 each of 50 values for $14 + $4.50SH.
**broken link removed**
The same guy will sell a 100 x 50 set for $30 + $10SH.

Your pocketbook your choice. You could also look into 1% rather then 5% if you can get them for the same price.

Marks256 said:
i was going to get a large assortment from jameco. I think there was like 2700 resistors (27 different values, 100 of each) for $24 from jameco.

dumb question; what is I2C? I keep seeing that everywhere... :confused:

i am bidding on something pretty neat right now. I am not going to link to it for fear of brining attention to it, and the price raising, so i will show you guys when bidding is done (dirty pool, i know, but it is survival of the fittest! :D)

edit: but yes, i will probably get resistors on ebay.

Last edited:
speakerguy79 said:
TL072 and NE5532 are good dual op amps for dual supply applications. Popular in audio. Both are very inexpensive.
Those op-amps are good for audio, I'd go for some of the quad and single versions too. The single versions are handy as you can trim the offset and they use less current than a double if you're only using half of it. The quad versions are handy as they save board space of you need three or four amplifiers.

I'd also go for some MC33071s (get some singles doubles and quads) as they're more stable and robust than the FET input amplifiers, they can run from a single supply from 3V to 44V and drive capacitive loads without oscillating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back