Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What feild of engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marks256 said:
I don't like high voltage, .

if you mean experiencing high voltage first hand i agree don't like it either :D

but if you see wat you can do with it its pretty impressive

Robert-Jan

yes. being a lineman is out of the question.

The reason i don't like high voltage is because i dont' really understand it all that much.

If I had a doover I'da got my BSE and gone to law school. I would really enjoy watching stiff necked CEOs slowly twisting in the wind, hoist by their own petard.

Marks256 said:
The reason i don't like high voltage is because i dont' really understand it all that much.

Huh? What exactly is there not to understand? Are you talking about the physics of high-voltage voltage or high-voltage devices? It's not much different than low voltage...you just use it for different things. Either way, here's your chance to understand it! Who goes to university to learn about something they already understand?

dknguyen said:
Huh? What exactly is there not to understand? Are you talking about the physics of high-voltage voltage or high-voltage devices? It's not much different than low voltage...you just use it for different things. Either way, here's your chance to understand it! Who goes to university to learn about something they already understand?

What i mean is, i don't understand when i will be killed or not. I really don't TOTALLY understand when current will be pushed through my body, or not. With low voltage, the most that can happen is just a small little tingle...

Marks256 said:
What i mean is, i don't understand when i will be killed or not. I really don't TOTALLY understand when current will be pushed through my body, or not. With low voltage, the most that can happen is just a small little tingle...

Don't be so confident about low voltage. I've seen safety films of what can happen to someone when they accidentally lay a ring or watch band across a 12V car battery circuit :eek:

High voltage is no big thing when you both understand and respect it. Lots of engineering opportunities in industrial AC power, motors, transformers, distribution, etc.

Anyway just get a EE first, your first job or two will most likely decide which specialty you will move into.

Lefty

Marks256 said:
I am just wondering what i should choose as a career? I know for a fact that i want to enter a field of engineering (there is no changing that, either.)

Here are the four that i am thing about (in order of "importance")

1. Electrical Engineering
  2. Computer Engineering
  3. Software Engineering
  4. Civil Engineering

I am pretty sure i am going to do EE, but i don't want to rule out the other possibilities quite yet.

From what i hear, computer engineering is just EE and software engineering put together. learn some hardware, some software. Definitely a possibility.

Software Engineering would be cool, but i see programming as more of a hobby than a possible career path. Even though i do all the time, i don't think sitting in front of a computer monitor all my life is quite what i want to do.

As for Civil Engineering, it is just an idea i am toying with. I am really don't think it will happen (as it am not as passionate about it as electronics), but i think designing bridges would be kinda fun.

To narrow the list even further, i would honestly say either the first two (electrical or computer engineering)

Some comments/suggestions would be great. Please play nice. ;)

EE is the most noble and highest paying of them all.

Marks256 said:
What i mean is, i don't understand when i will be killed or not. I really don't TOTALLY understand when current will be pushed through my body, or not.
Usually anything above 40-50V is considered potentially lethal. It also depends how you touch the voltage source; if you have one wire in the left hand and another in your right there is a very good chance that your heart will stop if enough current flows though your chest. That's one reason it is recommended that you work with one hand behind your back when reaching into a circuit with potentially high voltage. If you have very damp skin, then your chances of getting zapped are higher because you'll conduct so much better. It also pays to have a buddy around in case something happens. It's even better if both of you know CPR. :D

quixotron said:
EE is the most noble and highest paying of them all.

Surely better than computer and especially software :D

I can't really say for CivE, other than that I find CivEs exceedingly pretty which pretty much blinds me to anything else.

Civil is in higher demand than EE, at least in Minnesota.

I think i will go for EE. If i don't like it, as some others have said, it shouldn't be too hard to go CompE

Where I worked the people most in demand were the people who double majored in EE and CS. But that was prior to ...

These days I would suggest looking at power engineering for EE's. I doubt many of the engineers climb poles. Most watch from the GND.

3v0 said:
Where I worked the people most in demand were the people who double majored in EE and CS. But that was prior to ...

These days I would suggest looking at power engineering for EE's. I doubt many of the engineers climb poles. Most watch from the GND.
I think the best salaries are in chip design, but the competition may be tough, especially from Indian, Chinese, etc.

Roff said:
I think the best salaries are in chip design, but the competition may be tough, especially from Indian, Chinese, etc.

Aye, probably the only thing keeping american engineers from being wiped out are government/defense projects.

kchriste said:
Usually anything above 40-50V is considered potentially lethal. :D

I learned on school 63 Volts

so it means also that the majority of welding machines are hazardus equipment

the thing is that the majority of the acsidents hapens due to stupidity of not folowing the safety instructions either by yourself or your coleuga

and those safety procedures are part of your education on school

Robert-Jan

quixotron said:
Really? I'd figure it was the corporations who want to pinch every penny and maximize profit.

I am sure I have told this story before.

Many of our engineers had wifes working on the factory floor. They were about to loose their jobs. The big wigs came to explain why we needed to move our factory overseas.

One engineer asked what pay cut the manufacturing workers would have to take to keep their jobs.

The big wig explained, even if our people worked for free it would still be cheaper to build the products overseas. The major problem was taxes not wages.

3v0 said:
I am sure I have told this story before.

Many of our engineers had wifes working on the factory floor. They were about to loose their jobs. The big wigs came to explain why we needed to move our factory overseas.

One engineer asked what pay cut the manufacturing workers would have to take to keep their jobs.

The big wig explained, even if our people worked for free it would still be cheaper to build the products overseas. The major problem was taxes not wages.

Well freedom/liberty/luxury costs money!!! Can't have both!

3v0 said:

Similar here as well, taxing companies to death, most manufacturing has now moved from the UK to places with better tax structures.

The tax which caused most to move was a 'so called', energy efficiency tax - playing on the 'green bandwagon' - but simply taxing companies on the energy they used. No problem, sack all the UK workers and move to Lithuania or China!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back