Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is slew rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,

The convention for rise time is 10 percent to 90 percent, but that is when no other facts about the application are given. As i pointed out, for calculating the slew of a perfect ramp we can use just about any two percentages, as long as we measure the time between those two measurements as well.

The slew rate is:
sr=rise/time

where
the rise is the change in voltage, and the time is the time that change took. So if the lower voltage is 1v and the higher voltage is 2v and it took 1us to rise from 1v to 2v, then the slew rate is equal to the rise (change in voltage) which is 1v, divided by the time which is 1us, so we get 1v/us as the slew rate.

10 percent to 90 percent is often used because often the signal behaves abnormally between 0 to 10 percent and also between 90 and 100 percent, and those levels are often not significant to the effect it has on the circuit so we dont use anything less than 10 percent or greater than 90 percent.
In other words, the circuit would produce the same output if we used the exact waveform or we used the approximation of 10 to 90 percent. The circuit reacts little in the time between 0 and 10 percent, and little between 90 percent and 100 percent, in applications in which this convention is valid such as when measuring the delay time of a logic element.

For measuring slew rate, we approach the problem a little differently because it's a different kind of specification. We have more leeway, but we also need to pay attention to what is happening in the application itself and how the slew rate affects it. This is a more advanced topic though. To understand this better we could look at some actual waveforms and do a few little calculations to show what this is all about, but in the mean time you'll be ok to think of it in more simple terms.

One final note is that often in the data sheet they specify the percentages they have used to make the measurements. Often it is 10 to 90 percent but there is lots of room for variation here.

i ike the waveform idea, soon i will have the scope out to check some pwm affects on the fans at different frequencies, i did this a few days ago and started getting some odd waveforms, but now i see it is probably due to the transistor being switched to fast. anyway next time i do it i will post some the waveforms and ask some questions on them :D

Hi again,

Sounds interesting. Maybe post a few notes here on that.

is in another thread on transistor switching, but general idea is i have 12 fans set in 3 groups of four fans, i want to control each fan speed independent of the others according to the temperature in each fans zone, so because i am using bits i already have here i needed some help with working out a circuit using the transistors i have, anyway to cut it short that part is done but now i need to test the fans and see what frequency they work best at and what the best duty cycles are, so far i havnt done much to test them but around 3Khz seems best. but to make sure i am making up a jig with a IR transistor and IR led(soon as i find where i put them lol) i will simply make a RPM type circuit and connect to scope so i can get an idea what frequency they work best at by seeing if the RPM's change with same duty cycle at different frequencies, also i need to compromise because of they noise at lower frequencies, anyway give me a day or so and i will post the scope pics from the transistor driver side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back