Whats next

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMiguel

So i bought the audrino starter pack, and i did everything in this book **broken link removed** i also read this book Amazon.com: Getting Started in Electronics (9780945053286): Forrest M. Mims III: Books both very informative.. I ordered few parts and im going to try to build a little robot..

The only thing is that i know how to turn a light on, how to move a motor, hot to read from sensors alot of basic stuff.. So what should i do next? i mean i dont feel strong enough to be able to build a robot that does more than moving back and forth. Is there a book that focuses on the C programing for embedded systems??? i feel like programing is my weakest link right now... also i was thinking about getting something like this: Electronics Learning Lab - RadioShack.com to get a better understanding in electronic parts. Thanks for readin

Hi SuperMiguel,

isn't that thing commonly called "Arduino"?

Typo or not read thoroughly enough?

I suggest to gather some programming examples and study them thoroughly.

Did the same about 40 years ago learning BASIC. While others burried their noses in books I hammered in the programming code and looked what it did.

After two months I was well ahead of everbody.

Regards

Boncuk

All those projects only really show you how to construct things, do you full understand how they work and would you be able to construct something simple on your own without the help of a book? Come up with a simple project on your own, perhaps a mix of two or three of the projects in the books you've read so far and see what you can come up with. Perhaps a light sensor that actuates a stepper motor to act as a dial to show the ambient light level.

Did the same about 40 years ago learning BASIC. While others burried their noses in books I hammered in the programming code and looked what it did.

After two months I was well ahead of everbody.
That is soooooo true. Bookworms destroy books, not utilize 'em IMO.

will this Electronics Learning Lab - RadioShack.com help me at all?? or just keep playing with the arduino and the robot building?

It won't hurt. It is useful because many of the peripherals you might use when building or testing circuits are already built in. It's more a convience thing than anything else. You could do all the same things with just a plain breadboard but it could require a little extra setup depending on the specific circuit you're working with.

All the educational projects included with that kit you can do on your own by just following the manual that comes with it. RadioShack™ was kind enough to post it online. Building some of these projects will definitely help you to learn but you don't need to buy the kit to benifit from it IMHO. If you are still struggling with the basics like how capacitors, resistors, and inductors, etc work, the internet is an almost endless resource.

There is a stickyat the top of this forum called that has got tons of good info and links.

If you have $70 that's just burning a hole in your pocket, go ahead a buy it. You will learn from it. But I think you can get just as much educational benifit in other ways and for less money. Just my $.02.

well they only posted the workbook #2 which is the advance one the beginners they didnt post it the only thing that im not sure if it comes with everything it needs to do all those projects like i it comes with ll the ic, all the transistors and everything they talk on that workbook... Because if it does... to buy everything ill be spending about $50 ... correct me if im wrong

Last edited:
That sucks that only workbook 2 is there. A quick search on the web didn't turn up workbook 1. I don't know exactly what ICs come with the kit but most standard logic ICs you can get for $1 maybe less so I don't know if the parts alone are worth $50. That point aside, the time it would save you just buyng the kit may be worth the price difference in your mind. I don't want you to think I'm discouraging you from getting this. I just wanted you to know that there's other options but I'm sure you'll learn from this kit. If you're really set on it, and it seems that you are, at least look around. **broken link removed**it is for $25 less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…