Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the "m" mean in dBm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like JimB has got it sorted. I think the most important point is that it is necessary to read the manufacturers handbook to find out what has been standardised. I know from my time with German made telephony transmission level measurement equipment, that 0dBm was 0.775 volt. In that industry, the original work was done with balanced pair cable with a standardised characteristic impedance of 600 ohm. With the progress of time and the introduction of coaxial cable systems with a characteristic impedance of 75 ohm, the 0 dBm level was still 0.775 volt into 75 ohm. This was using Siemens and W & G gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back