Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Micro-controller should be preferred for robotics applications ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufio

I have studied microcontroller 8051 in good detail....
i would like to know if i have to learn PIC also...
or can i perform all tasks using 8051 mcu......plz help...

I have studied microcontroller 8051 in good detail....
i would like to know if i have to learn PIC also...
or can i perform all tasks using 8051 mcu......plz help...

You can do almost all jobs with almost any processor, presumably you're in India/Pakistan where they still seem to use the 8051's?.

Correct....but i would definately want to be wid the world...AM ready to learn the latest technology....plz enlighten me about the most used mcu nowadays...and thanks for the reply..

Correct....but i would definately want to be wid the world...AM ready to learn the latest technology....plz enlighten me about the most used mcu nowadays...and thanks for the reply..

PIC's are probably the most common, followed by the AVR.

If you're familiar with the 8051 perhaps the AVR may be an easier path to move to?.

Am new to forum culture...and its a good start as i really did not expect the help to come so fast..thanks a lot..i will search a bit on AVR and return back to you...Meanwhile if i can get a document on comparison between these mcus will be a real help..again thanks a lot..

For beginners, I will suggest 89s51 (which is of 8051 family and having ISP)

and once you are confident on 89s51 then you can move to AVR
in AVR series, I will suggest you to go for ATmega16,
it is 40 pin IC, having 4 ports (each of 8 bit) this is somewhat similar to 89s51

so now u decide which one to choose...
then focus either on 89s51 or ATmega16 (as per my suggestion)

so now u decide which one to choose...
then focus either on 89s51 or ATmega16 (as per my suggestion)

89s51 is 8051 which is pretty useless. Since Rufio said that he wants to be with the world, i would suggest him to learn PIC. Its fairly easy to learn.

Rufio you can start by downloading MPLab (free) from microchip, see which PIC controllers are available in your local market and start off by using that PIC series compiler.

The only annoying thing i found in PIC controllers was that the complete port is not at one location. Some port pins on one side while the other on different. In case of 8051 and some AVR controllers, a complete port is available so its easier to interface.

89s51 is 8051 which is pretty useless. Since Rufio said that he wants to be with the world, i would suggest him to learn PIC. Its fairly easy to learn.

Wow what a thing to say. Can you justify it ?

Given that most of the world is programming in C the instruction set is much less important then one might think. Speed, IO, and support are more important.

Wow what a thing to say. Can you justify it ?

Given that most of the world is programming in C the instruction set is much less important then one might think. Speed, IO, and support are more important.

3v0, refer to the original post.
can i perform all tasks using 8051 mcu

Do you believe all tasks can be performed using 8051 ?? It doesn't even have EEPROM built-in and no support for USB. Doesn't have an A/D converter. So yes i think its pretty useless in current era and according to me 8051 is pretty obsolete.

Also read his second post

He wants to go ahead from 8051 and for that reason i suggested him to go with PIC as its support is also pretty good (considering this forum) as a proof.

I don't quite understand why are you so offended with my saying that 8051 is pretty useless, just a fair question. Do you still use it?
You are referring to Speed, IO as well, PIC being based on RISC architecture has greater speed than 8051 (CISC). Also number of IO are same if you choose PIC16F877A.

further complete details about 16f877 and some of its projects and where and how to buy in pakistan you can visit **broken link removed**.
Regards,
AB Sami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back