Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Who can find datasheet of this 'S442' general purpose NPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Total marking is "S442, 89 F, 8248" TO-92 plastic case. An engineer said- it is general purpose NPN. But even he don't know more about it. I tried to get datasheet but failed. I got 100 pieces of these transistor. So I need to know all about it. Please!

And why such datasheet is hard to get?

All that fits in TO-92?
Yes, there are three lines on TO-92 face (aluminium color painted) with small font-
1st line- S442
2nd line- 89 F
3rd line- 8248

My main problem is to find out is its transition frequency and AC current gain. I have no needed tools for test. I can test its hFE simply using DMM. Also I can test its collector current by few trial-error.

May be it was not designed for sale. May be it was custom design. May be it has little unusual feature then...

Last edited:
3rd line - maybe 48th week of 1982.

Yes, there are three lines on TO-92 face (aluminium color painted) with small font-
1st line- S442
2nd line- 89 F
3rd line- 8248

My main problem is to find out is its transition frequency and AC current gain. I have no needed tools for test. I can test its hFE simply using DMM. Also I can test its collector current by few trial-error.

May be it was not designed for sale. May be it was custom design. May be it has little unusual feature then...
The only thing I've found that comes close is IRFS442, a N-channel Mosfet in TO-3P package.

Can you check its a NPN?

Can you check its a NPN?
Sure, It's NPN and I measured its average hFE= 205. It has unusual pin (leads) length because I have 100 pieces of these new NPN but all has short leads. Seems like- all these transistors are exactly ready to place on PCB!

I only asked because the nearest I found was a PNP, strange that there is no datasheet, I found a couple of replacement ones but the hfe was way lower than that! so they are not gong to help. Looks like your going to have to characterize a couple of them.
You could take a few guesses, like fairly low current because they are TO92 and have 250hfe. Time to experiment me thinks :D, see what it takes to get them warm enough to burn toast should do it :D

Sure, It's NPN and I measured its average hFE= 205. It has unusual pin (leads) length because I have 100 pieces of these new NPN but all has short leads. Seems like- all these transistors are exactly ready to place on PCB!
Or they were snipped from a pcb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back