Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why did I blow my power adapter??

Status
Not open for further replies.

max90272

Hi there,
Couple things...probably related. I'm building a stepper motor driver on a breadboard and somehow the zener diode gets SUPER hot.. I mean it goes from red to almost black.. Is this normal... Then, I blew my 12v power adapter?? What are the reasons why a power converter blows?
Thank you in advance. I am a beginner.:confused:

You probably overloaded the power supply. Polarity of zener wrong ?

Draw the circuit which you were connecting to your PSU.

Zener connected directly to power supply with no limiting resistor?

Of course the output of the 12V power supply was shorted by the lower voltage zener diode. Then both got SUPER hot.

Why did I blow my power supply (part 2)?

Hi there,
Thank you all who tried to give me some tips yesterday in regards to why my zener diode was super hot, and ultimately why I blew up my 12v power adapter...

I have checked that there is indeed resistor between PSU and diode, and direction of zener diode seems fine (the black line on the + side, right?)

So i decided to take a picture of my breadboard and post it here in hopes that someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. The first file is the schematic that I followed (stepper motor driver) and the other 2 are from my breadboard with a close up on the zener diode. Of course, if you have a lot of time and feel like checking my whole connections, I would really appreciate it also.

One more thing, you will see that the gentlemen who created this schematic decided to use a light bulb as resistor right before going into the + of motor. He said that this way, if you need more current (for bigger motor), you can just change the bulb for a 20w instead of a 4w bulb.

So when i blew my psu, I was running 12v 200ma with an 18watts bulb. The bulb lit up and the motor was buzzing. Then nothing but a burning smell!!!!!

Thank you for your help.
MAX

Attachments

• step motor schematic.pdf.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 209
  • step driver 1.jpg.JPG
    step driver 1.jpg.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 266
  • step driver 2.jpg.JPG
    step driver 2.jpg.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 266
Why did i blow power supply (part2)

Hi there,
Thank you all who tried to give me some tips yesterday in regards to why my zener diode was super hot, and ultimately why I blew up my 12v power adapter...

I have checked that there is indeed resistor between PSU and diode, and direction of zener diode seems fine (the black line on the + side, right?)

So i decided to take a picture of my breadboard and post it here in hopes that someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. The first file is the schematic that I followed (stepper motor driver) and the other 2 are from my breadboard with a close up on the zener diode. Of course, if you have a lot of time and feel like checking my whole connections, I would really appreciate it also.

One more thing, you will see that the gentlemen who created this schematic decided to use a light bulb as resistor right before going into the + of motor. He said that this way, if you need more current (for bigger motor), you can just change the bulb for a 20w instead of a 4w bulb.

So when i blew my psu, I was running 12v 200ma with an 18watts bulb. The bulb lit up and the motor was buzzing. Then nothing but a burning smell!!!!!

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• step motor schematic.pdf.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 291
  • step driver 1.jpg.JPG
    step driver 1.jpg.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 239
  • step driver 2.jpg.JPG
    step driver 2.jpg.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 230
I told you so.
The 12V from the supply is directly across the 6.2V zener diode. The 1k series resistor is not in series with the zener diode.

Why is there a 6.2V zener diode? The CD4xxx ICs work fine when their supply is as high as 18V.

Last edited:
Hi Max,

The resistor is doing nothing in that circuit. Check the second photo. The zener is a direct short from +V to gnd and the resistor legs are shorted together.

Put the resistor with one leg on +V and the other leg into an unused row of holes on the breadboard. Then put the zener with the cathode to another pin on the same row of holes, and the anode to the gnd line.

There may be other problems but that's the first biggie I see.

Torben

Audioguru, there is 2 threads because the first one was placed under someone else's thread by mistake. My apologies, I am new at these forums (and at electronic as you can see). I will try erase the other one.

Torben, thank you for being so clear. When you are a beginner like myself, you need to put it in very precise words which you did wonderfully. I will check that tonight.

Thank you again.
MAX

audioguru said:
I told you so.
The 12V from the supply is directly across the 6.2V zener diode. The 1k series resistor is not in series with the zener diode.

Why is there a 6.2V zener diode? The CD4xxx ICs work fine when their supply is as high as 18V.
More than likely to stop the gates of the Fets being driven with too high a voltage from the CDxxx ICs

Thank you all for the tips.
TORBEN, i did what you said and it all worked out. Clearly I've got basic eletro concepts to grasp properly...

Now i gotta try the control my stepper. It's all over the place.. buzzing and turning... Perhaps some settings in the software (KCAM).
THX

max90272 said:
So you overloaded your wimpy 2.4W 12V PSU with an 18W bulb, plus a motor? Of course the PSU will blow up, it's being severely overloaded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back