Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a 555 timer accomplish this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuhagen

Need a circuit that would switch to ground, then un-ground, then ground. This is for a automotive use to "fake" the DVD receiver to allow me to use the screen for engine management gauge displays.

So, turn car to "on"....the circuit would delay 5 seconds, then ground, then un-ground, then ground again until car's ignition is cycled off.

What I cannot figure is the delay issue on start up. The 5 second delay is important because it is a built in timing sequence used to assume the time it takes to reach to pull the E brake up and down. I can manually do this with a simple on-off switch to ground and flip it up and down whenever I drive. But that is a bit hokie.

Stu

Two timers. The first one for the 5 second delay which would trigger the second one for the ground/unground/ground

Two timers. The first one for the 5 second delay which would trigger the second one for the ground/unground/ground

Reading other forums, they claim this TR7 module for around $20 does the trick and needs no building. It is also programmable to suit various needs. It was designed for a specific Brand, but it can be fitted for all by changing the paremeters.

Stu

Attachments

• TR7 Module.pdf
    575.7 KB · Views: 151
What about use a pic? The cheaper I know is pic10f200. It cost some cents and have 4 I/O pins.

Last edited:
there are some time calculators in assembly. If you google it you should find one.
this is a simple routine for 5 seconds delay.

Code:
; Delay = 5 seconds
; Clock frequency = 4 MHz

; Actual delay = 5 seconds = 5000000 cycles
; Error = 0 %

cblock
	d1
	d2
	d3
	endc

Delay_5s
			;4999993 cycles