Will an AC/DC tarnsformer harm flashgun long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilpollick

I have a portable pro flash gun (Toshiba ES-38L) which is powered by 6 AA batteries arranged in series. The voltage across the positive and negative terminals is therefore 9 volts.

It eats up batteries and I would like to use it indoors with an AC/DC transformer.

I have such a transformer, a variable voltage output that includes a 9 volt setting. It gives a REGULATED supply, it is rated 1400mAh.

I have tried the flash unit with the transformer already and it worked, but the sound it made was different. When it powers up using the AA batteries the sound the flashgun makes is smoother (more of a pure whine).

My question is this, WOULD THE TRANSFORMER CAUSE ANY LONG TERM DAMAGE TO THE UNIT?

(I noticed that it charges well with the transformer set at 6 volts too, should I leave it at 6 volts?)

how good is the ac to dc converter from this transformer? maybe you are getting a ripple in your voltage supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…