Wiring a Whirlpool 3352287 washer motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-bird

Hi, I'd like to post what I've found this week for an old washer motor I hope to use for a woodworking project. Clues were devilishly hard to come by, but the best ones came from here.

If you find yourself with a Whirlpool 3352287 (common in Kenmore washers, for example), grab the wire harness (because the colors are different on the motor itself) and here we go:

It's a single-phase, split-phase, capacitive start, 1/2hp, 120VAC induction, 1725, 1140, and 850 rpm motor (i.e., 4-, 6-, and 8-pole)

case ground is green/yellow
capacitor and then starter coil is between wires red and yellow. You change the direction of spin by swapping these. A centrifugal switch cuts out the coil after a while, so you don't need a starter button.
low-speed coil is between white/orange and white/black
med-speed coil is between blue and white/black
hi-speed coil is between white/violet and white/black

Those three coils end at white/black but seem to be protected by an internal fuse if you return power to neutral via white instead of white/black.

Two unknown wires: orange appears to be the same as white or white/black. Purple/orange, don't know.

Everything worked except starting the low-speed in one direction. Had to start it by hand.

Example: to run it at medium speed (which it seemed to like the best):

Hot) tie together black of power cord, red of starter, and blue of medium coil
Neutral) tie together white of power cord, yellow of starter, and white at base of coils after fuse
Gnd) tie green of power cord to green/yellow wire of motor frame

(on second thought, should probably have tied yellow of starter to white/black, so that it was also protected by the motor's internal fuse)

If you did not get the wire harness, here's a map between the harness and the two connectors on the motor:

Harness - socket - visible wire from socket into motor, if any
red - pin 1 -
<none>- pin 2 -
orange - pin 3 -
white - pin 4 - white
grn/yel - pin 5 -
yellow - pin 6 - yellow
blue - pin 7 - blue
wh/blk - pin 8 - wh/blk
purple/orange - pin 9 -
<none> - pin 10 - black

white/orange - separate molex connector - white/orange
white/violet - other pin of said molex - white/violet

Hoping somebody with actual knowledge can post corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…