Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12DC Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that really worked :)
Now I can measure circuit, more playing

Your both stars in my eyes :)

So why have they fitted caps in a DC circuit? Only asking so I understand, now we have a working circuit I can relate too, I can try to understand what the actual components are doing now & why they are used without wandering off trying to relate them to something, if that makes sense

ok, looking at your circuit, following questions:

I notice you have Z1 where the In5819silver/black diode was, how come thats changed?
How did you get the value in C1, I don't know how to alter it
Same again for L2
IN4007 rec has changed to IN1183?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I'll be able to get the working circuit or even the circuit working **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Caps (in general) have the capacity (hence the name) to, however briefly (literally, in nsec and less), store energy, and then, as a circuit dictates, release that energy. Others types can store energy for much longer. None can pass DC.

In a nutshell, these attributes can be exploited in a variety of ways.

For instance, if you want to pass an AC signal (say, that from a microphone) to an amplifying circuit, but you DO NOT want to pass a DC component with it (since that would alter biasing of the component receiving the signal) you place a cap in between the two. For this you would use a "non-polarized" cap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

On the other hand, some caps can store energy for quite some time (months, even). The are generally referred as electrolytics).

Also defined in the above link.

In this case, i.e., the adapter we've been working on, which has two electrolytics (as evidenced by the + and - designations on the ends), are used to "fill in" minor fluctuations in DC levels, known as ripple (low frequency AC "noise") that can occur on that DC voltage. In this case, that noise might come from the alternator (or the DC to AC to DC conversion element of the circuit), and work its way through to, for instance, an iPod such that there would be an annoying "hum" in the earphone. The cap would help eliminate that "noise".

This is by no means all that caps are useful for.

They're a device (and a concept) that pervades practically ALL aspects of electronic design.

Muddy enough??

I notice you have Z1 where the In5819silver/black diode was, how come thats changed?
How did you get the value in C1, I don't know how to alter it
Same again for L2
IN4007 rec has changed to IN1183?

1. KISS noticed that it needed to be a zener
2. From you, I thought
3. same a 2.
4. Again, KISS. He pointed out that the 1N1183 was a better choice. I don't know what's in the acutual circuit. Diode type, I don't think, made a significant change to the circuit. I'll check the sim. (EDIT: changing the 1N1183 to 1N4007 made no apparent difference in the circuit. Have yet to put a 'scope on the whole thing. Do that later.)

You can alter component values in TINA TI by double clicking on the component and changing the number in the "Capacitance" section (same with resistors, etc.)

BTW, notice the addition of symbols (for this site, not TINA), Ω (my fav), μ, κ, , ±, etc. next to the "Reply" window. Very handy.

Last edited:
In this case, i.e., the adapter we've been working on, which has two electrolytics (as evidenced by the + and - designations on the ends), are used to "fill in" minor fluctuations in DC levels, known as ripple (low frequency AC "noise") that can occur on that DC voltage. In this case, that noise might come from the alternator (or the DC to AC to DC conversion element of the circuit), and work its way through to, for instance, an iPod such that there would be an annoying "hum" in the earphone. The cap would help eliminate that "noise".

This is by no means all that caps are useful for.

They're a device (and a concept) that pervades practically ALL aspects of electronic design.

Muddy enough??

I'm trying to work this out as a starting reference, so by understanding what they do on this circuit will hopefully give me a starting knowledge of each component, then I can expand as projects go on, relating to other uses, so for this project, they were acting as noise filters basically

That was perfectly muddy enough to start with thanks, please correct me if I've misundserstood what they are doing on this circuit **broken link removed**

1. KISS noticed that it needed to be a zener
4. Again, KISS. He pointed out that the 1N1183 was a better choice. I don't know what's in the acutual circuit. Diode type, I don't think, made a significant change to the circuit. I'll check the sim. (EDIT: changing the 1N1183 to 1N4007 made no apparent difference in the circuit. Have yet to put a 'scope on the whole thing. Do that later.)

Cool, I trust him **broken link removed**

You can alter component values in TINA TI by double clicking on the component and changing the number in the "Capacitance" section (same with resistors, etc.)

Thanks, I'm dreading even starting to understand how to work out measurements/values for all these components, think I'll leave that until I get to my project so it'll feel exciting

BTW, notice the addition of symbols (for this site, not TINA), Ω (my fav), μ, κ, , ±, etc. next to the "Reply" window. Very handy.

I noticed them this morning, it will certainly make life easier **broken link removed**

they were acting as noise filters basically

Yes. All caps can act as noise filters, in one form or another. But they are not limited to just that.

Have got right components in place **broken link removed**

Thanks CBB

oh, I'm not very good at this am I **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I've moved meters but still not getting proper reading?????

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You are shorting out the output with the ammeter. It should be in series with R6, NOT parallel with it.

Last edited:
Ammeter in series with the load. Voltmeter in parallel with the load.

Last edited:
Edit: thought I saw something that I didn't, after all.

Last edited:
Check your circuit against this one.

View attachment 60993

On my machine, it is behaving "normally". Same values as with TINA Basic instruments.

BTW. How to you export while monitoring?

Yes. Exactly. Much to my chagrin, I don't know how to do that.

Good, that means I can help you for a change **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

It also has the added advantage of showing you where I messed up my multiquote **broken link removed**

Last edited:
ok, I don't know whats happening, I have checked everything, I am getting a minus reading in A meter & V meter, so I'm presuming one of the components or wiring is amiss somewhere, but for the life of me I can't see it, time for cuppa & smoke, bit of housework to have a break then hopefully find it later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back