Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12DC Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to use the ERC (Electrical Rules Check) function under "Analysis". If you click on the error (if there are any) in the ERC window, it will highlight the wire/component that is the problem referred to.

And, bummer. This machine is Vista.

But thanks for the heads up. Got 7 on another machine. Didn't know that's what that symbol meant.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try ERC, I've been using DC anyalis (if that's how you spell it.lol)
Comes up ok on that, I noticed you have +- symbols on your caps, how do you do that?

Screen snip just reflects a moment in time, like a photo without the camera :)

Last edited:
With the schematic on your screen, don't bother with the "Analysis" option. Go to "T&M" and select "Multimeter". Then select the "Input" you want.

I noticed you have +- symbols on your caps, how do you do that?

When you double click on it, notice the "Charged capacitor" headline (as opposed to C1, just plain "Capacitor"). It has a "pre" voltage charge set for it. It's of no particular use to us in this case. Make sure its "Initial DC voltage" is set to "Not Used"

But the symbol for it has "+" and "-" designations, which I like to use to differentiate it from the non-electrolytics. That particular type is not available in TI. Although the symbols from TINA Basic transferred (copied) over to TI just fine.

But, circuit-wise, the two are no different, except if you want a pre-charged cap. These are used primarily in education settings. In reality, I don't believe there's any such beast.

The whole cap thing in TINA ( and maybe all sims, for all I know) is sometimes confusing.

Last edited:
You're right, of course. Just didn't go into it.

Ever been bit by a CRT left in the sun? Not a cap as such, but a heck of a storage device. Photons just pilin' up.

**broken link removed**

Wowsers.

Last edited:
CQX35A.

But that should not be the problem.

Pls re-post the schematic, w/ meter again, please.

**broken link removed**

ok, what was wrong with V meter up top **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

& before you say + was wrong way around, I tried it both ways, anyways, we now have a circuit that works, can finally get to measure stuff **broken link removed**

damn, I'd got it as part of circuit **broken link removed** see, I call that self help **broken link removed**

So with a 9Ω load, I have just over 600mA which is right, now for all these questions I have :)

Last edited:
Don't know.

I can't make my sim repeat what your getting.

Try deleting the ammeter icon. Then the wires that were attached to it.

Then re-add the ammeter and wire it up and try again.

Get that 1N1183 diode out of there. That is a stud mounted 35 A rectifier. That diode would be best being a fast recovery schottky diode 1 to 3A, 50 PRV.

Graham,

Just re-sent TI version of schematic. Trash the old file and try this one.

KISS. We have no control over VOM input resistance, although I"m assured that the Voltmeter default input resistance is infinite. Course, can't change it if it's not.

There's something else going on. The same meter can be used for multiple functions and varying input sources with the front panel buttons. and, like I say, an identical schematic and meter are performing correcting on my machine. So, what the hey?

Get that 1N1183 diode out of there. That is a stud mounted 35 A rectifier

Good catch, KISS. Your right. Will do.

Perhaps you'll forgive the mistake. Interesting glitch in the TINA Basic (and TI) component library: The 1N1183 has its IF as 1A max and PD max as 1W. Very strange. "Error, Error, Will Robinson!!"

Now I gotta check the whole diode library...

EDIT: changed Iz to IF.

Changed the 1N1183 to a 1N4933.

Last edited:
ok boys, I'm back on computer, I can't believe you didn't spot my mistake **broken link removed**

Here we have a fully working sim **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Here we have me running the V meter in series (get me, I'm starting to understand **broken link removed**) & trying to run the V meter from neg to neg **broken link removed** they say you learn by your mistakes, I should soon be a master **broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

So we are in buisness as they say

Get that 1N1183 diode out of there. That is a stud mounted 35 A rectifier

Good catch, KISS. Your right. Will do.

Perhaps you'll forgive the mistake. Interesting glitch in the TINA Basic (and TI) component library: The 1N1183 has its Iz as 1A max and PD max as 1W. Very strange. "Error, Error, Will Robinson!!"

Now I gotta check the whole diode library...

If you're happy, I'm happy.

What about the output voltage (VM1 input on Multimeter)?

CBB said:
KISS. We have no control over VOM input resistance, although I"m assured that the Voltmeter default input resistance is infinite. Course, can't change it if it's not.

Sure you do. Just add a resistor in parallel with the meter, right? If you really want to check it, take a 100 meg - 1 gig ohm resistor and put it series with an ideal current source of say 10 nA and put your voltmeter across the resistor.

PS: I put together measuring systems that could measure the resistance of a piece of paper. I come from a wierd world. Where low currents and low voltages exist; where low currents and high voltages exists; where current doesn't flow through wires; where ultra high (100 kV) and high voltages (15 kV) exist at high power (30 kW, 10 kW) and high power valve transmitters (1000 W).

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to introduce Graham to Thevinin and Norton: Here's Norton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_theorem

What these theorems basically say is that an ideal voltage source with a series resistance is a practical voltage source and an ideal current source in parallel with a resistance is an real current source.

It provides the equations to convert these sources from one to the other and it's very useful when analyzing circuits.

The ideal voltage source has zero resistance and the ideal current source has infinite resistance. An ideal voltmeter has infinite resistance and an ideal current meter has zero resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back