Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-bit BCD counter w/LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper5

Hello. I am new to this forum and to electrical projects. I would like to build a 4-bit BCD counter w/LED's with FF's. I have been doing some research into what parts I need and I understand the general concept of what I need, but it's finding the correct resistors and LED's and switches that gets me confused. I may also consider building an up/down counter instead. From what I understand, there is the 4510 which already has the BCD part built in and even has the up/down. As for my first idea, I think what I need is 2x SN54107's (to replace 4 FF's), 1x CD4073B (triple 3-input AND for A&B with A&B&C), and 1x SN7400 (quad 2 input NAND for B&D reset). I hope I am talking in the right lingo here. I would also like to understand how to make a clock. It may be cool to get it at 1Hz like a clock. I have been trying to figure out if I could just also make momentary switch to activate the pulse or does it have to be a certain frequency? Or maybe I could have another switch which controls if I want to use the clock (sync) or not clock (async). As I said before, I am confused as to what LED's I would need.

I found a website which shows something that seems close to what the more complicated version would look like, but they have capacitors and resisitors and I have no idea how they figured out that they needed them and to what value. The website is here: **broken link removed**. They also added some 4093 chip which somehow makes the clock. Again I have no idea how that works.

Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sounds like you know what your after, I'd suggest skipping all that and getting a micro controller & demoboard for your projects, a good software learning tool is free GREAT COW graphic BASIC, all for 60$

this way instead of all the wiring and rewireing you just put down some code, and can change it up as you want, and will save you $$ in the long run if you are getting in to digital projects

if your led is not too big, then you may disregard using a resistor and your supply may be within 3.5-5 volts.
the connection depends on what FF your'e using, since you specify it to be SN54107 (JK FF), i assume that you understand how JK FF works, to do this, you also need to have a knowledge in making a truth table

Prev Next JA KA JB KB JC KC JD KD
0000 0001 0 x 0 x 0 x 1 x
0001 0010 0 x 0 x 1 x x 1
...... .........
1001 0000 .........

something like that....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back