4017 clock input with a pulse switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well perhaps the manufacturers were a bit careless about naming the chip, but it's still just a fine working chip (excellent for making knight-rider lights etc. )
But did anyone already take a look at my new scheme, including the debouncer?

No, did you post it?

SV. you have any idea how a shift register works? Sure, it shifts bits one at a time, but when it comes to output it will put a binary number on the bus, either in parallel or serial, depending on the chip. It will hold that number until released to the bus.

What program are you using for your schematic? Turn off the arrows (Looks strange), should be dots. Anyways, check out this link, very good article on switch bounce near the end it shows several methods to solve switch bounce.
http://www.ganssle.com/debouncing.pdf

Last edited:
Herre is a simple was to cover switch bounce. The RC constant allows the vibrations of the contacts time to dampen while the capacitor is charging.

Attachments

• RC bounce switch.GIF
    5.8 KB · Views: 303

Of course I do. That's not the point. A decade counter should count BCD. That's a serial shift register. This is my last post about it but look up any decade counter other than this 4017. Look and see what it does. Here's two numbers for ya so you don't have to look them up:

74hc160
74hc390

yes, I did
Here again..:

Btw, another switch is definetely no option. This should work, according to the website manuals I followed. If it does NOT work, can you perhaps adjust my scheme so that it WILL debounce?
Thanks .

That might work. Try it out. Looks pretty good!

Thanks allvol, your reply was very usefull =). I'll try it tomorrow if I've got the time to get the components from my local electronics shop. Though, your way is slightly different from my design. In my design, the resistor is a component which bypasses the 4017 chip after the switch, and the capacitor is parallel to the switch. In your design, the resistor as well as the capacitory bypasses the 4017 chip (makes more sense to me actually). If that doesn't work, I'll try my own design.

Furthermore; could the rest of you please continue your discussion on the principle behind the 4017 chip (and variants to the 4017) somewhere else? Kind of messing up my topic IMO .

I'll let you know as soon as I have some test results!

Furthermore; could the rest of you please continue your discussion on the principle behind the 4017 chip (and variants to the 4017) somewhere else? Kind of messing up my topic IMO .

Hmmm, well I gotta ask, did you even bother reading the link I posted for you on switch de bouncing? The article gives all you ever wanted to know about switch bounce and more. If you had read the article, you would understand the problem and know a solution without needing to continue asking questions on bounce circuit configuration.

Honestly I don't know why I waste my time searching for useful links for people when 9 out of 10 times the info is never read.

Well good luck with your little project.

Sorry I just thought the way explained in the document you posted as a link would allow some / much electricity to be wasted through the circuit. And I really DID read it, my knowledge of electronics just isn't so great.

Anyways, I've tried AllVol's way, and it works!!! Thank you very much all =).

Anyways, I've tried AllVol's way, and it works!!! Thank you very much all =).

It isn't my way.... it is just another way of accomplishing something. It is one of the building blocks that you can use in many circuits. When you get into micro-processing, you'll use this same circuit often.

Hmmm, well I gotta ask, did you even bother reading the link I posted for you on switch de bouncing? ...

Honestly I don't know why I waste my time searching for useful links for people when 9 out of 10 times the info is never read.

This is why I gave up on this thread several posts ago...

This is why I gave up on this thread several posts ago...

Please MikeMI. Do not give up on any posts. You have much to offer and I for one enjoy reading your posts. Mikebits is really OK. He's right about allot of things but you do have to sorta just let it go with some of his statements. He's alright. Don't let it bother you. Keep posting....Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…