Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

50/60Hz harvesting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Has there been any progress in harvesting some energy from power mains radiation lately ?
Not RF, not thermal, not piezo, but the plain fields in the vicinity of megawatt power transmission lines.

What to expect from long barbed wire fences under/near transmission lines, rectified ? Several milliwatts ?

Maaany years ago I attempted toying a 60Hz tuned receiver (just coil and capacitor) under buzzing power lines but had no proper equipment to evaluate. Later, in conversations about the subject, seemed the tuning was not a necessary approach, just a plain long wire would suffice. Opinions ?

I am very undecided about this subject.

Against:
Where I am there are three wires overhead. The average voltage is zero. At a distance you should get a zero field. Up close one phase will dominate.
The three wires (4) change order regularly. If you had a way to get power from the right side wire, every 500 feet the wires change place and the next wire to be on the right side will be of a different phase. The phases add up to "zero".

for:
I used to live in a very rural place. (central/Northern Alberta Canada) Here the farmers often have one mile of fence under a power line. In Alberta I know of 10 miles of fence under very high voltage lines form a coal burning plant. In these rural places some people do not have electricity. I know one man why climes to power his house form the fence. He explained; he must keep a constant load on the fence to keep the voltage constant. I could see he had lights on all day and there was no low voltage power lines with in miles.

myth :
I really don't know it you can get power form the power line at a voltage high enough to be useful. My "aginst" comments make me think no. But I have seen it. Maybe I was fooled again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back