Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5mm Red LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

WHO sells Red 5mm LEDs at a good price that I can get in the mail in a few days I need 100?

10 Red 5mm LEDs for $8 with $7 postage is not my idea of a good price.

100 Red 5mm LED from China $2 free shipping won't be hear for 2 months.

digikey.com part number QBL8R60D
$4.66 for 10, $30.40 for 100, $171.00 for 1000, $1330 for 10,000.

I suggest you check out Tayda Electronics. I am a happy customer with many orders placed with them. They are based in Thailand but have US stocking of many of their products, with delivery often being a week by USPS Priority Mail.

I have found most of what they sell to be of good quality, usually with datasheets and full specs being available.

The link to their website is above.

Screenshot_20200102-094209_Firefox.jpg

The water-clear ultra bright are a great deal. Just be careful, I had one lot from Tayda with the anode/cathode flipped vs previous batches (only happened in the Red Clear so far). Everything in the bag was the same so I didn't have to check each one but that one batch was annoying.

They are very bright and only need 5mA, 100uA in some applications.

also, they are very red in real life but look orange in photos because they seem to saturate the detector on the camera. Turn the camera brightness way down if you want the LED to appear red.

superbrightleds.com has them for about 18 cents apiece.
part number RL5-R2415

So why did you ask if you already had them on order? Asking for a friend.

Read above - impatient about shipment from China.

I have to rebuild all my LED PC boards all the metal wires rusted off the, resistors, transistors, LEDs. I had PC boards & D batteries in zip lock plastic bags but they all full up with rain water. I tried different zip lot bags they all leak water. Now I have melted a toilet seal with equal about of candle wax then pouring it on the PC boards to make them water proof. I rebuild 2 PC boards yesterday and 1 today. I am out of D batteries bag full of water shorts them out new batteries they are dead in 2 days. Rain won't stop Dec 31 weather man said 64.34 inches of rain for the year of 2019. Finally no rain today but more rain for the next 4 days. I need to hermetically seal these boards & battery in something better that plastic bags. Glass pint & 1/2 pint mason jars will work but 2 D batteries taped together side by side won't fit in
100_6149.JPG

100_6155.JPG

100_6142.JPG

100_6152.JPG

100_6153.JPG

You've found that zip lock bags aren't an ideal 'enclosure', but if they are filling with water you likely have the zip lock facing upwards.
How about inverting them?
Attach some duct-tape to one corner, with the zip lock facing downwards.
Hang the bag from the duct-taped corner and put the flasher inside, but leave the lowest point of the zip slightly open.
This should allow any water that has gotten into the bag, from unseen holes, to drain out.

What about cleaning the flux. Biggest problem.
Conformal coat the solder side.

You probbably have some vapors from the batteries.

I don't think it would work, but a thermal seal food sealer bag?

I have many cheap Chinese solar garden lights. The old ones used a solar panel with a plastic cover that got sunburned after being in the sun for a couple of months but new ones use a solar panel with a glass cover that lasts for years.

The cheap Chinese LEDs, transistors, resistors and Ni-CAD batteries rusted away in a couple of months from rain leakage or condensation. Wire made from old tin cans is cheaper than copper wire. I replaced them all with Western parts that use proper metals that do not rust. Newer solar garden lights use batteries marked Ni-MH but their capacity is 1/4 what is printed so they might be the same old Ni-CAD ones. Newer solar garden lights replaced the rusting transistors with an IC that does not rust and it performs the charging and voltage boosting. The IC boosts a 0.8V run-down Ni-MH battery cell to over 3V so it can brightly light a colors-changing LED.

Old solar garden lights used a cadmium sulfide photo resistor with a plastic cover that also got sunburned in a couple of months. Newer solar garden lights use the solar panel as the light detector. Cadmium is deadly and is banned in many countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back