AC to DC, spot welding board

Hello, i salvaged a transformer from my old microwave, among other things. Since i got a spare spot welding board i thought i could power it with the transformer. The problem is that the board obviously requires DC, i was shooting for enough windings to get around 12V.

What would be the easiest way to convert AC to DC, preferably using the spare parts i got laying around from old power supplies.

You already know the answer - however, if you have to ask such a question you shouldn't be playing with anything as dangerous as an MOT - it's a highly lethal device.

As for a rectifier, you need a LARGE one.

The rectifier would have to be built out of something like these:

Paralleling the two diodes in a module makes it capable of 400A (on a good heatsink).

Four such modules in a bridge could take 800A continuous, or rather more in short pulses.

It could be cheaper overall to buy some high current supercaps & use a normal DC supply?

(That's what my Chinese spot welder uses, two monster 3000F in series; input The power source is 12V from a 5A power supply via am internal regulator to charge it to 5.5V, though it does take quite some time to reach full charge for the first weld!)

Yeah, those aren't cheap.

I already have a little battery powered spot welder, its good for 0.12 and passable for 0.15. I really wanted something heavy duty for 0.2 that is instant use. I have 2 2.7V 500F caps, but this board has a flaw and its easy to burn mosfets when voltage drops. Thats why i thought it would be perfect to run it from 12V source.

Now, i could just make arduino controller and use that 12V AC, its easy to program. And for the spare board i guess i could just buy a car battery or some small lipo.

Smaller 20A diodes are dirt cheap though, 50pcs for few bucks. Could i just parallel a bunch of them and add some heatsink with a fan ? I don't expect i will need more than 200A to spot weld 0.2, and its miliseconds of current going through for each weld

The most likely cause of the behavior you describe is the mosfet gate voltage falling to a level to low to keep the mosfets fully on.

I would look at the board and see if you can separate the control voltage from the power voltage. running the mosfet gates at 10V or greater will likely solve that problem.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…