Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amber & White Using RGB LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcitysw

I need a little help again about RGB LEDs. I was wondering is it possible to make amber and white colors using RGB LEDs. They seem to make RGBA leds, but seems hard to find them. I need Red, Blue, Amber, and White dies in one led if possible.

Shane

The whole point of an RGB LED is you can change the colour.

For white, turn the red, green and blue dies on at the same time.

For amber you want the red and green dies on but slightly more current thought the red so calculate the series resistor value to give more current.

As Hero pointed out, you should be able to make any color just by varying the currents though the Red Green and Blue LEDs independently. Red Green and Blue are called primary colors and you can make any color by mixing these light sources in different combinations of intensity. Hence RGB monitors, etc

for a nice white, you want an RGB led that has two green chips in it... or you'll want to use some sort of controller to reduce the red and blue intensities. just turning a regular cheapo rgb led on full blast usually gets you something of a pinkish color.

For amber, run the red die at 100% brightness, green at 80%, and blue at 0%. Raising the green results in yellow and lowering produce orange and finally red.

Thanks guys, is there anyway I could control the brightness via a AVR? I guessing you would need to use a PWM, in that case I don't know how to program it to do that. How can I control 12 LEDs at a different time?

Just Google for avr rgb led and you'll find quite a few projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back