Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog Multiplexer - NEED HELP! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghty56

Hi guys,

I have a power supply that can only take positive voltages but I would like it to be able to take negative voltages. To achieve this normally, I have to manually take out the positive and negative pins and put them on the negative/positive input terminals on the power supply respectively.

I would like to have this done automatically using some sort of analog multiplexer where it takes the two positive/negative pins as inputs and has two outputs that go into the positive/negative terminals of the power supply. Ideally, a signal from the PC would provide the switch (high/low).

I'm more of a software guy so my electronics knowledge is a little basic. :eek:

I figure I would need some sort of analog multiplexer with tristate. I also am a little worried of the potential voltage loss that may occur in the multiplexer circuitry.

Since you guys are way more pro than me with this sort of thing, I was wondering if somebody could please give me advice on how to approach this? :D

Thanks in advance!

It's really unclear what you're wanting to do?, but if it's just swap the positive and negative wires over, a DPDT relay is all you need for electrical control, or a DPDT switch for mechanical control.

I agree with Nigel.

You need a DPDT switch (or relay) with On-Off-On action. Look for something under Toggle Switches at Digikey.

Last edited:
No you guys are right, a relay is what I need. :D

I'm thinking of using two single pole SSR controlled via the parallel port. I'll let you know how things go, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back